Setting duck eggs on Saturday, 8/18 - Anyone wanna join? (Set by next Saturday for chicken eggs)

Alrighty chicken hatchers in here, silly question time! It's getting awfully close to lockdown time on my silkie eggs. So, I set them on a Friday. Technically, counting the Friday as day one, Thursday of this upcoming week is day 21. Is this the correct hatch date, or do I use Friday as the hatch date? I don't want to lock em down prematurely!

Alrighty chicken hatchers in here, silly question time! It's getting awfully close to lockdown time on my silkie eggs. So, I set them on a Friday. Technically, counting the Friday as day one, Thursday of this upcoming week is day 21. Is this the correct hatch date, or do I use Friday as the hatch date? I don't want to lock em down prematurely!
if set Friday Morning then its day 1

if set Friday Evening or Night then friday is day 0

locking down a day or 2 early wont effect the eggs just dont stress if they dont hatch on what you consider day 21

i have eggs hatch on day 22 where i have set in the late afternoon

:)

good luck

btw i go into lockdown tmoz all 24 eggs doing great

Great news! We're having severe thunderstorm warnings over here so I'm worried about losing power...hoping that doesn't happen...

I hope you won't lose power.
fl.gif
That would really add to your stress level.

Well, so far I have six chicks hatched and two more zipping, they are getting so close!
clap.gif
So things are not as bad as I was afraid they would be the other day. I still have five eggs that I am not sure are viable. I will check them after these last two hatch. My eggs came from breeding pens that contained Splash and Blue cochins in one pen, and the other pen had Blue and Black Mottled. So I could have Splash, Black Mottled, Blue Mottled, Blue or Black ( I think). I have two that are either light blue or splash, two that are mottled and one that is either dark blue or black...... I am having a hard time deciding what colors some of these chicks are. I can't wait to get them in the brooder. I just hope we end up with a decent pair.
fl.gif

I didn't lose power ( :yesss: ), and I have thwarted my darn hatcher! I set it up again to get ready for the lockdown of the silkie eggs, and it was absolutely fine, until I let my guard down and went to sleep. Thank goodness I was just testing it, or it would have tried to hard boil the silkie eggs for a fourth time! It got up to 117 overnight. So, frustrated, I grabbed a 40 watt bulb and popped it in to see what happened. Now, when I first tried a 40 watt, it couldn't get the temp up past 93 degrees on its own. But, with the help of the incubator being 'preheated' by the 60 watt, it got right up to 99 and stayed there! I've been running it for about 12 hours now and the light has only clicked off twice due to the temp creeping up, and it had to click right back on less than a minute later to maintain the temp. So I think this bulb is actually incapable of really overheating the incubator! Haha! Me 1, incubator 0 (unless you count the times it did manage to overheat, then it's me 1, incubator 3, but still).

fl.gif
I hope that solves you problem, Pyxis.

Well, here are my eight little cuties. I float tested the other five eggs last night, and one definitely looked active, and I couldn't tell for sure on a couple of the others, so I left them all in.
But here is the baby pic of what I have so far. There are two blue (or one black, one blue), two splash, three mottled, and one blue mottled ( my daughter's favorite).

fl.gif
I hope that solves you problem, Pyxis.

Well, here are my eight little cuties. I float tested the other five eggs last night, and one definitely looked active, and I couldn't tell for sure on a couple of the others, so I left them all in.
But here is the baby pic of what I have so far. There are two blue (or one black, one blue), two splash, three mottled, and one blue mottled ( my daughter's favorite).

thumbsup.gif

I didn't lose power (
yesss.gif
), and I have thwarted my darn hatcher! I set it up again to get ready for the lockdown of the silkie eggs, and it was absolutely fine, until I let my guard down and went to sleep. Thank goodness I was just testing it, or it would have tried to hard boil the silkie eggs for a fourth time! It got up to 117 overnight. So, frustrated, I grabbed a 40 watt bulb and popped it in to see what happened. Now, when I first tried a 40 watt, it couldn't get the temp up past 93 degrees on its own. But, with the help of the incubator being 'preheated' by the 60 watt, it got right up to 99 and stayed there! I've been running it for about 12 hours now and the light has only clicked off twice due to the temp creeping up, and it had to click right back on less than a minute later to maintain the temp. So I think this bulb is actually incapable of really overheating the incubator! Haha! Me 1, incubator 0 (unless you count the times it did manage to overheat, then it's me 1, incubator 3, but still).
Glad you didn't lose power!! Thats crazy to think that there wer tornatos in Brooklyn.

I know! Luckily I'm almost in Vermont, so most of the bad stuff went around us. I didn't even hear a single clap of thunder!

:fl   I hope that solves you problem, Pyxis. 

Well, here are my eight little cuties.  I float tested the other five eggs last night, and one definitely looked active, and I couldn't tell for sure on a couple of the others, so I left them all in.  
But here is the baby pic of what I have so far.  There are two blue (or one black, one blue), two splash, three mottled, and one blue mottled ( my daughter's favorite).  

:love Good luck with the other eggs :jumpy ! I'll be locking down the silkie eggs in a few minutes here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom