Setting Eggs tonight, May 1st. . . anyone else??

No, you don't have to candle. Just keep an eye out for "sweating" eggs so they don't explode in there. I enjoy seeing the eggs develop and it allows me to take out eggs that I know won't hatch - which makes extra room in the incubator.

that's true (extra room) We already had one egg that was "sweating" Thank goodness we pitched it... it exploded when it hit the garbage! I have been keeping an extra eye on them now.. to see if it happens to any more. I don't know if I will candle or not.
hu.gif

Quote:
Candling is FUN!! I love seeing the eggs that are further along in development wiggling and kicking! In the past I would go out to the barn and snatch a few out from under a broody hen, run into the house, hide in a closet with 3 kids, and candle the eggs. The kids LOVED it! I did have one get cracked (gotta watch those 2 year olds better!!) but I just painted the cracks with clear nail polish and it hatched just fine.

I am freaking out having to wait till I 'should' be able to see development in my eggs. I candle one or two everyday, just because I have no self control! I KNOW I wont have any visible development yet at 3 days, but I keep thinking I somehow have super eggs and they will defy all odds and show development anyways! And of course I will have somehow grown x-ray vision that will help me to see that development through those dark shells!

Seriously, candling is fun, and I think once you do it, you may get addicted! Good luck with your hatch and I'm sending you lots of Magical Hatching Chickie Dust your way!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

When you guys refer to candleing, I assume you are using the special light that sits on the end of the egg? or are you really using a candle held behind the shell? the light usually shows clear development at 4 days with a dark spot and veins, even on the darkest egg, and I only candle twice, at about 4 - 6 days, and again at 14 - 16 days, I worry about temps and humidity, it will be interesting to see how many we end up with between us internationally!!

My husband woke me up as he was leaving for work, and wanted me to look in the incubator. Sure enough, there's the first chick of this batch... already pipped and zipped and completely out of its shell! It still looks wet, but I think it may even turn out to be blue (obviously, the ideal coloring for a giant Blue Cochin)!
celebrate.gif

Congrats on your chick! I'm about to enter day 5, so I may candle. . . but that doesn't mean I'll be able to see anything. My humidity has been all over the place recently. Although I don't think humidity plays a huge role until day 18 and after.

Quote:
Candling is FUN!! I love seeing the eggs that are further along in development wiggling and kicking! In the past I would go out to the barn and snatch a few out from under a broody hen, run into the house, hide in a closet with 3 kids, and candle the eggs. The kids LOVED it! I did have one get cracked (gotta watch those 2 year olds better!!) but I just painted the cracks with clear nail polish and it hatched just fine.

I am freaking out having to wait till I 'should' be able to see development in my eggs. I candle one or two everyday, just because I have no self control! I KNOW I wont have any visible development yet at 3 days, but I keep thinking I somehow have super eggs and they will defy all odds and show development anyways! And of course I will have somehow grown x-ray vision that will help me to see that development through those dark shells!

Seriously, candling is fun, and I think once you do it, you may get addicted! Good luck with your hatch and I'm sending you lots of Magical Hatching Chickie Dust your way!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Thank you so much for the magical hatching dust.... I need it!!! This is my first time incubating!!! I am on Day 5 too, and it will be interesting to hear of everyones candling!!! Then i should know about where my chicks are in development if I decide not to candle!! I just don't want to ruin anything...
smile.png

Hi,

I am a 1st time incubator. I set 20 eggs at noon ca time on the 1st of May. Yesterday, one oozed out all over the bottom of the incubator. I was soooooo sad. I cleaned it out the best I could and sanitized it. Today there is s bad smell but I can't figure out which egg it is. What should I do? I am worried that the temp/humidity changed too much during the crazy 20 min that I was scrubbing the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom