Setting shipped eggs tonight. Kinda bummed! PICS

LegginMF12

Songster
12 Years
May 2, 2011
Yucca Valley
I received my eggs this morning. I am setting them tonight. I do not have much hope for this hatch. I received 12 of one breed and 18 of another. The 18 pack had 2 broken (boo on the P.O.) But on candling ALL of the shells look very porous. On the 12 pack I think only five may be actually worth putting in the incubator. 6 of the eggs are VERY small and odd shaped, they appear to be eggs from a hen who has just started laying and I will bet $50.00 the one huge egg is a double yolker.
See pics below and give me any opinions please!

Set all of them.

I have hatched MANY porous looking eggs. More have hatched than not.

But with shipped eggs, the biggest problem is detached air cells.

Where did you get your eggs from? You should try buying them from the auctions here. OKchickens - Hot2Pot - bargin - Charm 1704 - rockinpaints - Banjoe Joe - all have orps of different colors that are extremely high quality and their shipping is awesome. They also have other breeds you might like
love.gif
hugs.gif
!!!! I set orp eggs from Rockinpaints lately that the post dept held hostage for like 6 days and still I ended up with 12 chicks out of 16 eggs. OKchicken just sent me 15 buff orps and 14 are going strong
hugs.gif
love.gif

I bought them from a person on here (not one of the ones listed above). They had excelent reviews on their auctions.Seller had immediate communication when I was asking about breeds, price and way to make payment, after payment was made it was like they dropped off the face of the earth.They never even let me know that they rcvd payment until I pm'd 3 times over 11 days. Then never told me that eggs had been shipped. I was completely surprised when my eggs showed up yesterday. I thought they had just took my money and that was that. I will look into the above sellers for my next batch of eggs. I think that seller may have a few to many orders for the amount of chickens they had and instead of refunding they filled orders with eggs from a first time layers. 5 of the eggs are tiny, we are talking on the scale of a fart. I was able to put 8 eggs in one row of the Brinsea eco 20 and still had to stuff the end with newspaper. When I hatched 9 of my own eggs I had one egg that was somewhat smaller than the others and that chick is still smaller than the other 8 who hatched. So keeping my fingers crossed on this hatch!

Buying shipped eggs is always a crap shoot. I've been burned badly twice. Lots of money spent and zero chicks to show for it. It really sucks when this happens and I agree that you should set all the eggs. I too have hatched many overly porous eggs.

I had the same thing happened to me. The seller even said they would replace the eggs if none hatched. Not a word back. I even saved the eggs for two weeks just in case they didn't believe me. They knew that fertility was a question and that is why they said the would replace. They haven't posted those eggs since.

Oh boy am I in the same boat! This is my first gamble on shipped eggs and so far only two of the 13 are doing anything and even they look weird to me :( I dissected the others and would definitely say that the fertility of the eggs is in question. So disappointing after you spend so much money on them and I cant help but get excited but then... Sorry to hear about it, anyway. I agree with the others though, you should set them. I have had many porous eggs hatch healthy peeps.

I was so excited when I got the eggs. When I candled at 7 days none had developed. I left them in just in case. I'm not one to complain about eggs not hatching and always hope for at least 2 chicks. Oh yeah I did buy from someone on here. It's the only place I order eggs from.

I've bought shipped eggs twice now, and the first time it was from ebay, around 12 silkie eggs. A bunch of the air sacs were detached and I didn't know about resting the eggs, and plus several were broken, too. Everything was just so messed up... nothing hatched. :c This last time, I bought 8+ BBS Cochin eggs. Shipper sent 10, all 10 arrived big, beautiful, and intact, with nice air sacs. Unfortunately, I STILL didn't know about resting the eggs, and it was super cold when they arrived. SO, only one is developing. But, seller (from BYC of course!) agreed to ship me more eggs free if I help with shipping, so I've got a second chance on the way! Wish me luck that that one last Cochin egg hatches... today is hatch day!

Back
Top Bottom