Setting shipped eggs! Hatch-Along

jnjmanning

Songster
7 Years
May 31, 2012
Sullivan Missouri
I have shipped eggs due to arrive tomorrow! I am going to let them rest at room temp for 24 hrs then set them on Thursday. They are Polish crested Frizzle eggs. I am soooooo excited! Anyone want to hatch along?

My eggs arrived!!!! I ordered 6, they shipped 9, I knew the news wasnt good when the mailman handed me a WET box. When I opened I could tell it was egg, as it was yellow! Opened each egg carefully. I had one broken and one cracked. Going to try and save the cracked one!!!! Bator has been running perfect temp for the past 3 days. Put the water in and testing humidity and temp while my eggs rest!

I guess I am the only one setting, and the only one reading.....lol
I got the cracked one sealed with wax, will have to watch it carefully. The other 7 look fine. I placed them in my carton/hatcher, small end down and let them rest till about 9pm. Then in the bator they went. I did read to not turn on the eggs turner for 2-3 days to give the air cell a chance to settle. This is for shipped eggs only. So I am going to leave the turner off for now. Maybe turn it on after 1st candle at day 3. Temp is holding steady, humidity 35%. I am so excited to get a couple more Polish. Just please let me hatch one hen!

I guess I am the only one setting, and the only one reading.....lol
I got the cracked one sealed with wax, will have to watch it carefully. The other 7 look fine. I placed them in my carton/hatcher, small end down and let them rest till about 9pm. Then in the bator they went. I did read to not turn on the eggs turner for 2-3 days to give the air cell a chance to settle. This is for shipped eggs only. So I am going to leave the turner off for now. Maybe turn it on after 1st candle at day 3. Temp is holding steady, humidity 35%. I am so excited to get a couple more Polish. Just please let me hatch one hen!
I'm sure you will have at least one :)! Much luck to you on your hatch. I just set 30 of the most gorgeous Blue Barnevelder eggs ever today...hoping for a great hatch too this time since I went to pick them up instead of leaving it to the post office :). I'd love to hear about how your hatch as your incubation progresses...

I'm sure you will have at least one :)! Much luck to you on your hatch. I just set 30 of the most gorgeous Blue Barnevelder eggs ever today...hoping for a great hatch too this time since I went to pick them up instead of leaving it to the post office :). I'd love to hear about how your hatch as your incubation progresses...
Oh and by the way, I put some wax on an egg from the last incubation I did, and it grew fine (cracked shell, membrane intact). Hope yours does too.

Hi Peeps! Oh Blue Barnevelder, I have never seen any! You will have to post some pictures.
I finally candled last night and I think I see fertility in 4 of my now 7 shipped eggs. The cracked one started oozing again so I removed it
sad.png
I turned on the egg turner also. Air cells still look pretty funky to me. They are not really asymmetrical. Fertilized is only half the battle. Making it all the way to hatching is a whole different story.

Hi Peeps! Oh Blue Barnevelder, I have never seen any! You will have to post some pictures.
I finally candled last night and I think I see fertility in 4 of my now 7 shipped eggs. The cracked one started oozing again so I removed it
sad.png
I turned on the egg turner also. Air cells still look pretty funky to me. They are not really asymmetrical. Fertilized is only half the battle. Making it all the way to hatching is a whole different story.
Sorry about your cracked egg. You are doing well because you knew to not turn them. Maybe wonky air cells are a shipped eggs thing? Crossing my fingers for you on this hatch :). But you are right, sometimes they grow but do not hatch, but I'm thinking positive thoughts for your 4 growing eggs.

This will be a true test of the homemade incubator because last time the shipping was blamed for any unhatched eggs...no blaming this time. These eggs are from Trisha and her chickens are so healthy (and beautiful). You can see how the mommies and daddies look here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/743622/12-blue-barnevelder-hatching-eggs Hopefully my troubles before were all egg quality. She packs eggs really well for shipping too though (air cells up, which is way better than where I got mine last time), but I just drove to pick them up anyways because she was within a distance I was willing to drive. And let's face it, I wanted to see the mamas and daddies up close too...the photos are good, but the hens and roos in person look even better. Anyways I'm rambling, but it's going to be a long 19 more days and I'm going to have a hard time leaving those eggs alone to grow! I might just have to candle them on day 7 to see what's there :).

Oh those are some Beautiful chickens! That blue color seems to be attractive an any bird. I did sneak in and candle last night. I have 4 confirmed fertile! The air cells seem to have become a lot more stable too. I moved the 3 in question to a corner area. I am going to wait till day 10 and candle again. If nothing, I will remove then. You have 30 set??? Wow you are going to have your hands full!!! I have 10 mixed babies that I hatched on Easter weekend. Hopefully they will go to the coop this weekend. Just wish mother nature would make up her mind on the temps here!

Back
Top Bottom