Setting the week of August 22 (or so... ) Everyone join!! You know you want to!

Okay my broody should be locking down tight, I candle all the eggs and of 14 shipped eggs I started with, I only had 2 clear eggs and one that looks like a quitter, so I should make out with 10. My broody has done so well. Now the Marans secret hatch in the garage she has about 15 eggs I candled the 4 blue eggs and all are a go and one Marans egg and it appears to have a nice air cell and dark under it, so we will see, I guess she wanted to join the hatch.

I have chicks!! I'm not sure how many yet because they're under mom but their little cheeps are SO adorable!! this is day 20 so I'm kinda suprised but not complaining!! I'll post pics when I can see things!!

Kept it around 54-58% for the majority of my incubation then put the plugs back in....

It spiked to 75 when I first put the plugs in, then settled around 67-68%...too high for little Seramas I have a feeling... I think I worried less with my first Serama hatch, too, and ended up with 7 of 11 hatching and still here with me.

I need to look at what one of the girls I buy eggs from suggested a while back. I am pretty sure it is "dry hatch" style
that's what i did (dry incubation)- how big were your air cells? did they look big enough at lockdown?

The size of the air cell seems like it also varies by breed, my Ameraucanas have huge air cells, but the marans may still be too small, even without adding water to the incubator. My humidity has been about 30-35% for the first 18 days. We will know on Saturday whether my dry incubation experiment worked or not...

Last edited:
heres my little cochin that hatched today. my other two eggs are pipped so maybe tomorrow
woot.gif

Ok, so I couldnt help myself and I went out and peaked under my hen because I'd heard chirping but hadn't seen how far the hatch was... I found a chick out of its shell but with the membrane hardened around it everywhere except it's head...I decided to act and used water to free it from the membrane... once the membrane was loose I didn't see any wet blood or yolk, just dried blood/vein lines on the interior of the membrane... did I do the right thing? anyone ever deal with this before? it's really dry here today.. to the point that I had to apply chapstick and drink an extra few glasses of water...hmmm... there's still 7 more eggs and I didn't even attempt to look at them since it sounded like only a singular chick was chirping...ideas?

Started with 15 shipped eggs. 9 made it to lock down. 7 hatched. The last 2 look like they died about 18 days. Sad they made it so far. I have moved 5 to the brooder and left the 7th and a buddy in the bator until he is dried. Will post pics tomorrow.

I've got a lavander orpington that hatched earlier today. He's warm, dry, and he WON'T STOP PEEPING?! what am I missing? He should be happy as can be and he is peeping non stop

Late to the party, but I set eggs under 2 broody hens that started hatching yesterday! I got my eggs from "Bargain" Garry Farm in Georgia. So far we have a speckled sussex, a blue copper marans and just a few minutes ago either a blue or black copper marans (too wet to tell which yet). 13 eggs altogether from Bargain, so we shall see how many more hatch.

This was my first time buying eggs and having them shipped. And I WILL be doing it again. What fun!

PS: they are brooding in my living room due to the extreme heat here in Arizona and we also have Marek's so I will be vaxing once everyone is hatched. Then 2 more weeks in the house and the out they go.

I've got a lavander orpington that hatched earlier today. He's warm, dry, and he WON'T STOP PEEPING?! what am I missing? He should be happy as can be and he is peeping non stop

try the feather duster or feather boa method mention on here earlier... might be peeping for mommy :)... is it a single chick or does it have friends? I had a baby chick once that would only stop chirping if I held it... and would actually turn its head looking for me..would instantly fall asleep in my hands...Turned out to be a rooster!! lol... Good luck!!

FYI to all: my above question hasn't been addressed yet ;-/

Back
Top Bottom