Setting the week of August 22 (or so... ) Everyone join!! You know you want to!

Chefswifey-I think we have a couple expert hatchers on this thread but most of us are either first time or still too new to answer your question. That is a tough situation. You could take the eggs and put them in a bator with high humidity or leave it to your broodie. She might not accept them back if you take them. Have you tried posting to the incubating and hatching board yet. I would like to see what responses you could get from the seasoned hatchers.

try the feather duster or feather boa method mention on here earlier... might be peeping for mommy :)... is it a single chick or does it have friends? I had a baby chick once that would only stop chirping if I held it... and would actually turn its head looking for me..would instantly fall asleep in my hands...Turned out to be a rooster!! lol... Good luck!!

FYI to all: my above question hasn't been addressed yet ;-/

Thought about that but he/she settled down :) he/she has 8 other little peeps to hangout with. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have 2 chicks :ya I left for a few days and left 2 young girls in charge of things on the home front, they did a good job. I had them add water yesterday and check the humidity.

Aschenfire- so sorry about your chicks, hope you have better luck next time :( that must be so frustrating fou you.

I had a pleasant surprise today. My eggs weren't due until tomorrow but I had a eager beaver all hatched out and dried when I got home from work. He is making more noise then all fifty of the quails I hatched out last month. I have a couple more eggs with external pips so hope to get up tomorrow with some more noisy babies!

Ok, so I couldnt help myself and I went out and peaked under my hen because I'd heard chirping but hadn't seen how far the hatch was... I found a chick out of its shell but with the membrane hardened around it everywhere except it's head...I decided to act and used water to free it from the membrane... once the membrane was loose I didn't see any wet blood or yolk, just dried blood/vein lines on the interior of the membrane... did I do the right thing? anyone ever deal with this before? it's really dry here today.. to the point that I had to apply chapstick and drink an extra few glasses of water...hmmm... there's still 7 more eggs and I didn't even attempt to look at them since it sounded like only a singular chick was chirping...ideas?
I had the same thing happen today with an egg in my incubator. I did the same thing. I just got it wet with warm water and slowly rubbed the membrane away with a warm soft cloth. and shes doing good now. yes you did the right thing you may have saved its little life. good job
thumbsup.gif

I now am an official "Chicken Keeper!" with a total of 1 bird ! Lol. One lone little bantam chick all alone! He's got to wait 5 days to see his duck brother.:) I knew these things were supposed to be loud but my GOD I wasn't expecting this !! After all that I still have a couple questions to improve hatch rates for the other eggs.

1.) In almost all but 2-3 of my shipped eggs, all I see is unmoving mass. I can see clearly its not the shell but I don't see any veins besides in one duck egg (out of 2) and the other duck egg does the same too, except its mass is all black. Are these developing or should I be tossing them out?

2.) I have a few Ameraucana eggs, and I heard these chicks have a good chance of dying when they try to pip? Is this TRUE?

3.) I can always spike my humidity if its low but eventually it drops again even if I don't open the lid. How can I get it up so it will stay in the 75%-%80 range?

Last edited:
I got babies got home from work to find a freshly hatchEd chick about 1030 and another hatched around midnight and the third around 130am, there is still one to go and it's working on unzipping I'm on mobile and can't seem to load on page but you can look at my profile to see pics

I got some fertilized eggs from a frig. on Aug22. my broody hen has been setting onthem. 1hatched yesterday, 1 today, Another one seemed stuck. Turns out the humidity is only 10%. Do you have to worry about humidity when a hen hatches her chicks? One more is piping. 2 more eggs left. I candled them and they look like the other did. I hope they hatch tomorrow. Funny thing, I have no idea what type on chicks these will be. LOL
I helped the stuck one out and put a humidifier in the coop. I didnt see any blood but the blood on her beck, I put her back under the Momma. I'm too afraid to look under the momma to see how she is.

This is my second go at this. Its so exciting. Is it ok to do it in the winter time if my broody hen is in charge? Is there anything special for me to do?

Last edited:
My first chicky hatched out almost 3 days ago!...3 days early!!!, she is a bantam half nankin hen/ half old english BB red rooster mix!
This is her now in my lap! LOL, she's adorable & is a spoiled brat already!

I kept my humidity on 44-50% the first 17 days or so, then upped it to 60-67%, and its goign perfectly so far, I had 2 more hatch today, post pics later...1 of them was an unexpected SILKIE!!, another just hatched my dad said so far thats 4 outta 23!

Back
Top Bottom