Setting up coop today, NEED ADVICE about many things!

MissRaychel91

Chirping
Jul 15, 2018
Hello! We have 2 Silkie Bantams and 2 Cochin Bantams, and they are 5 weeks old.
We have built our chicken coop (pics below) but won't be able to build the run just yet.
Looking at the picture of the coop, is there anything we need to do to make it safe against predators?
Also there seems to be no ventilation inside the coop part, I posted pics of it below also. Is there anything we need to do for that?
There will be nothing but dirt underneath it, we were thinking about using sand but the only sand we have seen is the play sand sold at home depot. Is that the right sand?
We are wanting to try and get this done today, so ANY and ALL tips and advice is definitely needed and welcome!
Thanks in advance!
20180819_155110.jpg
20180819_155101.jpg
20180819_155038.jpg
20180819_155044.jpg
20180819_155020.jpg
20180819_155029.jpg
20180819_154959.jpg

Last edited:
Construction sand are also sold in Depots and Lowe’s by bags, might be better than super fine play sand, I use them myself.
For safety, depends on your predators in your area, can you enclosed the coop perimeter by aproning with hardware cloth temporarily? (Cheapest fastest way but safe) so dogs or rodents doesn’t dig under to get in. Or place the entire thing inside a dog kennel enclosure? (Might be too pricey if not already available). You got that right about ventilations (very important). Maybe drill some holes (w/ hole saw) between the so called coop room and the screened room and patch them with left over hardware cloth.

Replace all latches with raccoon proof ones. (flap and loop latch with carabineer).

Anti-dig apron.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC (unless you have small rodents like rats)...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

You got that right about ventilations (very important). Maybe drill some holes (w/ hole saw) between the so called coop room and the screened room and patch them with left over hardware cloth.
Yes!....Or just cut big window in that wall.
Does the chicken door between coop and run lock?

@MissRaychel91
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-8-19_18-33-3.png

Construction sand are also sold in Depots and Lowe’s by bags, might be better than super fine play sand, I use them myself.
For safety, depends on your predators in your area, can you enclosed the coop perimeter by aproning with hardware cloth temporarily? (Cheapest fastest way but safe) so dogs or rodents doesn’t dig under to get in. Or place the entire thing inside a dog kennel enclosure? (Might be too pricey if not already available). You got that right about ventilations (very important). Maybe drill some holes (w/ hole saw) between the so called coop room and the screened room and patch them with left over hardware cloth.

That's exactly what I just finished doing! (See the pics). And I'm going to cover them with hardware cloth next, I drilled them on both sides that way a breeze can blow through.

But about the predator proofing.. could I maybe bury some bricks along the edges that way if something does try digging it's harder...or may be bury some hardware cloth along the edges? I don't know....

20180819_183736.jpg
20180819_183753.jpg
20180819_183758.jpg
20180819_183747.jpg

Replace all latches with raccoon proof ones. (flap and loop latch with carabineer).

Anti-dig apron.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC (unless you have small rodents like rats)...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Yes!....Or just cut big window in that wall.
Does the chicken door between coop and run lock?

@MissRaychel91
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 1510022

I have no idea what an anti dig apron is but ill def check it out!

I'm located in Albany Ga, South Ga, I will update my info to my profile soon though. Thanks!

Now as for the locks, they are so tight I have to use a tool to loosen them in order to open the dang doors. The coop was sitting in the box in the rain and it warped it a little

@MissRaychel91, aart posted a link on anti dig apron, much less work than burying hardware cloth yet as effective. When I did mine took about only an hour of my time after laying out everything in place. Then I decided to add bricks (left over from my grill pad) the apron to reinforce it plus I can walk to the perimeter without falling stepping on HC, that might cause it to detach and lift up. I wish I can show it, but I did that awhile ago, grass and plants grew around it and already naturalized so not as visible for demo.

I checked out the anti dig apron and that is a great idea. We had to move the coop to a new area.. there were millions of little tiny metal, glass, and styrofoam pieces. I'm sure the babies would have ate some and died.
Here's the new location.
20180819_191557.jpg
20180819_191624.jpg
20180819_191636.jpg

Back
Top Bottom