Setting up the bator and setting shipped eggs this week....anyone else wanna join?

How is everyone's eggs doing today? Mine are good and humidity is at 46% as of this morning. I'll check it this afternoon again. I tend to bator watch...
pop.gif
Trying to stay away from it....LOL! We are one day closer to hatch day!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I've had two hens go broody this winter so far, one seemed very serious I gave her a couple of eggs but a day or two later I found her setting on a another nest. I threw the eggs out and keep putting her off the nest ,she will get the message after a while, I hope. She is tenacious. If I was in serious need of her; I would put her in a spot of her own with only one nest and she would stay put, I am sure.
My eggs are perking along. I have to watch the humidity this time of yr. It will drop out quickly. The house is dry.. I try to add Hot water that way I don't drop the temp when I add the water in. I will candle again at 15 days to make sure all are still developing and they have not just gotten blood rings. I love the new little flashlights that have the 8 or ten little lites. I got one at lowes. Wow are they brite. Good luck everyone Gloria Jean

What day can I candle and see something? What should I look for to know if the eggs are viable? My humidity is good and temp is steady, been turning 2x a day.

Well I'm not to happy.... Candled my eggs last night, put 30 shipped eggs in the bator. Set 8 blue Orpingtons, 4 have veins. Set 6 white d'uccle, 1 has veins. Set 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes, none developing, Set 10 Columbian Cochins, none developing. So I'm getting 2 dozen local mixed breed local eggs this weekend to put in my bators. We will see what happens. Edied to add that I put 4 barnyard mixes from my own girls in at the same time as the shipped eggs, they are all developing, not an incubator problem.

Last edited:
My shipped eggs are not doing so well..I tossed another 7 eggs today..no development. I did leave in a few that I thought might have something. I am pretty sure by now I would see something definite. I sill have a nice bator full..10 silkie eggs going strong..go catdance babys..I might have two Marans eggs good. I have 6 of my own one speckeled sussex. First week down..two more to go..my broody is due to hatch on the 1st.

What day can I candle and see something? What should I look for to know if the eggs are viable? My humidity is good and temp is steady, been turning 2x a day.
If this is your first time on day 7,wash and sanitise your hands.. take a really bright flashlight. Go into the bathroom or a really pitch black room, place the light against the air cell and turn out the room lights. This is what you should see.

images

My shipped eggs are not doing so well..I tossed another 7 eggs today..no development. I did leave in a few that I thought might have something. I am pretty sure by now I would see something definite. I sill have a nice bator full..10 silkie eggs going strong..go catdance babys..I might have two Marans eggs good. I have 6 of my own one speckeled sussex. First week down..two more to go..my broody is due to hatch on the 1st.

Could it be the time of year- as far as it being so bleeping cold in transit? We're running subzero temps here and I can't imagine any eggs making it safely via the USPS. That's such a shame about your eggs. Are your own eggs doing well?

That's terrible! I've heard quite a few people are having bad luck with shipped eggs - I wonder if its the temp extremes. Good luck with the new ones!
Well I'm not to happy.... Candled my eggs last night, put 30 shipped eggs in the bator. Set 8 blue Orpingtons, 4 have veins. Set  6 white d'uccle, 1 has veins. Set 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes, none developing, Set 10 Columbian Cochins, none developing.  So I'm getting 2 dozen local mixed breed local eggs this weekend to put in my bators.  We will see what happens.  Edied to add that I put 4 barnyard mixes from my own girls in at the same time as the shipped eggs, they are all developing, not an incubator problem.

Could it be the time of year- as far as it being so bleeping cold in transit? We're running subzero temps here and I can't imagine any eggs making it safely via the USPS. That's such a shame about your eggs. Are your own eggs doing well?

Happy Friday everyone! This is Day 7 and all is well. Humidity is holding around 46 and temps here today will be around 72 or so. I candled a few more eggs and I can faintly see red inside. I'm using a multi speed LED flashlight (Stanley MaxLife 369) that has a really bright setting and a tri-pod for hands free....I love it! It was a gift for Christmas. I think it came from Home Depot. Well see when hatch day gets here what the final count will be.

Did most of you have heat packs with your shipped eggs? Mine didn't but I got them right before the really frigid weather started up north.

mlmills79 - did you candle your eggs yet?

Delisha - I love the pic of your candled egg. Thanks for sharing. What setting is your camera on to take a pic like that?

Back
Top Bottom