Setting up today 26 May 2012.... Anyone setting can join

Candled this evening. All 28 are showing development. I just checked them quickly but was pretty excited. I am pretty confident about determining if an egg is "clear" or not and I could see veining or enlargement in all of them! 1 has a displaced air cell (leaning onto the side instead of right on the large end) and one has a micro crack you can't see without the flashlight but its a clear spider crack maybe from when it was laid or maybe I bumped the egg turning it I'm not sure, but it's still developing. I expected to have a couple clear ones...cause I had one out of six from my first batch so this is super exciting that it's still looking good for all of them!

That's great news. I will be waiting until day nine to candle mine. I ended up moving the bactor into the house because of the large temp swings we have been having here in Nor Cal. Had the temp in the bator spike to around 104 for an unknown length of time (at least 4 hours) a few days ago. Even sense moving the whole set-up into the house, everything has been running just fine. Certainly, looking forward to seeing if the eggs made it but I am resigned to wait 3 more days just to play it safe.

That's great news.  I will be waiting until day nine to candle mine.  I ended up moving the bactor into the house because of the large temp swings we have been having here in Nor Cal.  Had the temp in the bator spike to around 104 for an unknown length of time (at least 4 hours) a few days ago.  Even sense moving the whole set-up into the house, everything has been running just fine.  Certainly, looking forward to seeing if the eggs made it but I am resigned to wait 3 more days just to play it safe.

is your incubator forced air or still?

I candled again last night so my son could see what was growing too. It seems for sure one is a total dud and another seems to look like it has 2 air sacs now. It is odd, there was still some good veining and no red ring of death yet, so I put it back in there and we will check again around day 10 or so.

only 4 of my eggs is fertile ... very sad...
hit.gif
aww, so sorry.
I had a near crisis, have my meat therm set to alarm at 102 so I can avert higher spike and after some dental work I went to sleep. Woke up and looked at therm and it was at 102.5 and rising
ep.gif
so here i run with the fan and open the vents on the bator as the the little red light indicating that it is heating is burning away!!! Finally we are steady at 101. It's not that hot today, overcast and kinda humid, not sure what caused that. Next time I do this I am buying or building an incubator. What do you folks use for a heat source?

hit.gif
aww, so sorry.
I had a near crisis, have my meat therm set to alarm at 102 so I can avert higher spike and after some dental work I went to sleep. Woke up and looked at therm and it was at 102.5 and rising
ep.gif
so here i run with the fan and open the vents on the bator as the the little red light indicating that it is heating is burning away!!! Finally we are steady at 101. It's not that hot today, overcast and kinda humid, not sure what caused that. Next time I do this I am buying or building an incubator. What do you folks use for a heat source?

What kind are you using now?

I am using a Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance with the humidity pump. I love it.

What kind are you using now?

I am using a Brinsea Octogon 20 Advance with the humidity pump. I love it.
i borrowed my neighbor's he says he has used it for years and has had a great hatch rate. It's a little giant, styrofoam one, it has a turner and seems to do well. Right now our outdoor temp is going from 55 at night to 80+ during the day so temp regulation is going to be an issue. We are holding off turning on the air conditioner, it's so hard on my sinuses and the budget! I'm going to candle again on Sunday, we shall know then if temp has caused problems. I will look for one of those, if I ever do this again!

Back
Top Bottom