Several general goose questions for the experienced.

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
We've been having fun in the yard today! I'm upgrading the pens for my ducks and turkeys, and the three goslings have been "helping" this afternoon. They stay right with me, and have had fun playing in with the plastic bags and small pvc fittings in them.

Anyway, a couple of questions:

1) Parasites -- I have a LOT of wild geese at certain times of the year, generally from late summer through late fall, and again a little while in the early spring. The rest of the year, they stay at the end of the street closer to the lakes. I can have a hundred or more in my yard in the fall, cleaning up fallen fruit, grazing, and just generally hanging out. Should I be concerned that they might leave parasites behind?

2) Territoriality -- how do geese "know" what is "their" territory? If I only let them wander in the specific areas I want them in (i.e., AWAY from the road, which is a primary road with pretty heavy traffic) NOW, will they more or less stay in these areas later? (I'm thinking "no" but it would be nice).

If you're talking about ectoparasites (lices, mites, etc.) you might consider periodically spraying the pen, including the ground area, with malathion at a time when the birds are not in there.

Back
Top Bottom