Severe Frostbite on Waddles

PonyRaindrop

Songster
5 Years
Feb 25, 2016
Michigan
I have a large buff orphington rooster with huge waddles and comb. I went out tonight to find him agitated and shaking his head back and forth. Upon further examination it seems that he has severe frostbite on his waddles and comb. The tips of his comb is black, but I am more concerned about his waddles. They were swollen and partially black with some yellow scab type stuff on it. They are warm to the touch. I'm worried it may be infected. It has been extremely cold where I live (-10 Fahrenheit windchill). I think it is from him drinking and the water creating frostbite on him from when he dunks his beak in. None of the others have frostbite. I treated it with antibiotic cream and Vaseline so far, I have only known about it for a few hours. Is there anything I can do for him? I can get pictures up of him tomorrow.

I would leave him alone. Touching the tissue is painful and can cause more damage. He will get better over the next few weeks. It may or may not swell. He will lose tissue.

I have 2 buff Orpington roosters, both have been dubbed by nature as I call it. They dip their wattles in the water when drinking, and roosters don't tuck their heads under the wing like hens do. I see mine also have some damage too this year again. The only way to avoid it is to keep roosters with small combs and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom