SEVERE Prolapse - Need support/prevention advice

May 29, 2019
Hello,

I'm writing this on behalf of my brother, who is very new to raising backyard chickens (he caught the fever from me!). Yesterday, his 6 year old daughter ran into the house with chicken blood all over her, panicking. My brother immediately ran out to find the injured chicken: a young BO, with a severe prolapse. According to him, she is much smaller than the other laying hens (all of whom recently started laying), and she had only just laid her second egg when this happened.

The poor chicken was rushed to the vet's where they did surgery (including sutures), an x-ray, and bloodwork. From what I understand, the entire reproductive, urinary tract, and GI system had come out with the prolapse. That said, she is reported to be doing well--"bright"--although she hasn't pooped since the morning. They are keeping her for the weekend to monitor.

I'm hopeful she'll make a full recovery and be able to go back home. If so, could anyone who has experienced this--especially severe cases--let me know some of the best preventative measures and support that can be offered to ensure the hen stays healthy and avoids another prolapse (or, at least, one of the same magnitude)? Should he be trying to bulk her up or will that make it worse? Reduce egg laying somehow? Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Thank you everyone!
Jenna

Ask him to talk to the vet about an implant to keep her from laying.
I've thought about that before for one of mine, but reading about it, it seems it diminishes the quality of life quite a bit (and is temporary and therefore costly). But I'll talk to him about it and do more research--both for me and on his behalf. Do you have experience with it?Thanks!

I've thought about that before for one of mine, but reading about it, it seems it diminishes the quality of life quite a bit (and is temporary and therefore costly). But I'll talk to him about it and do more research--both for me and on his behalf. Do you have experience with it?Thanks!
Zero experience with the implant and severe prolapses. Had two, one chicken, one duck with moderate prolapses. Those I kept inside, only turned light on for a few hours a day, and reduced feed. Both recovered.

Back
Top Bottom