Kristen519

Hatching
May 24, 2017
20170521_144215.jpg
This is my 5 week old chick with severe scissor beak. I'm new to the chicken life and don't know what to do to help her. It wasn't noticeable when I got her at a few days old. I first noticed it when she was about 2 weeks and it was only off at the tip. It's now completely unaligned and her growth is definitely slower than her sister. Aside from her being small, you'd never know there was an issue (unless you look at her beak ). She's spunky and holds her ground with the others. Is this something I should be worried about or will hand feeding her a little extra be enough to offset this?

I have had one scissor beak chicken. She did fine without any help. You will just need to see how it goes. Some can eat fine, others need a wet mash. Most need an occasional trimming of the beak. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating and growing.

She seems to be growing still, just not as fast as the others. She's 1 of 4 from the same breeder & 2 are roosters so they're bigger, but even the other hen is bigger now too. I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get too far behind. Thank you!

View attachment 860707 This is my 5 week old chick with severe scissor beak. I'm new to the chicken life and don't know what to do to help her. It wasn't noticeable when I got her at a few days old. I first noticed it when she was about 2 weeks and it was only off at the tip. It's now completely unaligned and her growth is definitely slower than her sister. Aside from her being small, you'd never know there was an issue (unless you look at her beak ). She's spunky and holds her ground with the others. Is this something I should be worried about or will hand feeding her a little extra be enough to offset this?
I have a 1 yr old hen worse that that, she lays good, sweet hen. She will be fine but needs extra Thought when feeding. Mine is a separate pen with 2 other not perfect chickens, one with a real crocked leg and a Rooster that did not get all his Marbles, BUT he seems to be doing a lot better. The 3 in this pen are fed in a 3"x3" and about 3" deep J hanging feeder. I got the feeder at a Auction cheap---got 2 really---never seen them before but looks factory made. It holds about 1/2 gallon of feed in a J shape but its just small. She can get all the feed she needs, She Loves for me to wet down some feed and put it in a small pan----keeping mind if it spreads out she can not get it. If you throw it on the ground she can not pick it up. The reason yours is probably smaller is she eat less growing up---if the feeder got a little low she could not get any. Feed her good. She will Grow and lay you some eggs.

Last edited:
I have a 1 yr old hen worse that that, she lays good, sweet hen. She will be fine but needs extra Thought when feeding. Mine is a separate pen with 2 other not perfect chickens, one with a real crocked leg and a Rooster that did not get all his Marbles, BUT he seems to be doing a lot better. The 3 in this pen are fed in a 3"x3" and about 3" deep J hanging feeder. I got the feeder at a Auction cheap---got 2 really---never seen them before but looks factory made. It holds about 1/2 gallon of feed in a J shape but its just small. She can get all the feed she needs, She Loves for me to wet down some feed and put it in a small pan----keeping mind if it spreads out she can not get it. If you throw it on the ground she can not pick it up. the reason yours is probably smaller is she eat less growing up---if the feeder got a little low she could not get any. Feed her good. She will Grow and lay you some eggs.
I'll have to keep my eye out for a feeder like that. I'm the meantime, I've started putting a regular bowl filled to the brim with feed instead of just the regular feeder. She always goes to the bowl now and never the feeder so maybe that will help her gain back on track.

View attachment 860707 This is my 5 week old chick with severe scissor beak. I'm new to the chicken life and don't know what to do to help her. It wasn't noticeable when I got her at a few days old. I first noticed it when she was about 2 weeks and it was only off at the tip. It's now completely unaligned and her growth is definitely slower than her sister. Aside from her being small, you'd never know there was an issue (unless you look at her beak ). She's spunky and holds her ground with the others. Is this something I should be worried about or will hand feeding her a little extra be enough to offset this?

I had an EE chick/hen that came out that way. I let her grow, but not reproduce. About the time she could not feed herself anymore, I butchered her rather than letting her suffer and starve. I always find it hard to butcher a hen, not so much a rooster that is aggressive. I feel bad for my extra crop of Coronation Sussex Roosters, because they are always gentle when handled, but more than 3 Roosters for a hen flock seems excessive. I dislike that almost as much as butchering a hen. I prefer to get a mean FBC and put his lights out. But, the other one's are hard; but it gets you closer to your food source, and helps you respect the meat source for the life that was sacrificed.

I'll have to keep my eye out for a feeder like that. I'm the meantime, I've started putting a regular bowl filled to the brim with feed instead of just the regular feeder. She always goes to the bowl now and never the feeder so maybe that will help her gain back on track.
She just needs something where the feed stays thick---top to bottom so she can jam her crooked beak down into it to get feed in the back of her mouth----if the food flattens(gets thin)out in the container she can not pick it up. Also do the wet feed some----not real wet just wet enough it will stick together---put it a coffee cup or similar and watch her eat it. Mine Loves it.

Back
Top Bottom