Severe Wound on Hen from Dog Bite!! HELP PLEASE!!!

I’m a little concerned because recently I have noticed that there is a strong smell coming from her wound. What does that mean?

I’m a little concerned because recently I have noticed that there is a strong smell coming from her wound. What does that mean?
It most likely means infection. I remember the off smell from when my hen was bit. When a dog bites it’s teeth make puncture holes and with my hen the one puncture hole resulted in the wound tunneling down her side causing dead skin basically holding in fluids causing an infection. I ended up having to cut the bottom of the “tunnel” rinse the hole with watered down betandine and give an antibiotic. I have the link of my thread below. Sorry this happened to your hen, good news is she will probably make it as long as you get the infection gone.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ssible-prolapsed-vent-graphic-photos.1371524/

I don’t even know where to start if she has an infection. These are our first chickens that we’ve had for years and we have never had to deal with a situation like this. I don’t know how to explain the smell but I know it’s coming from her wound and it’s strong.

pecking the wound?
I don’t know if this is gonna send
what material is the sweater of?
ignore that last reply😂but it’s a thin fleece sweater. We had bandages on her before but she found a way to rip them off and I didn’t want to take any more chances of her pecking at her wound. I love this chicken so much and the last thing I want to see is her in pain. She stopped eating and drinking today which is making me really nervous. There aren’t any vets in my area that will take her so I honestly only have this to rely on. If anyone has any advice on what to do next I would be so grateful.

If any of what I'm going to say below bothers you or you don't feel able, then this is a good time to seek vet care. When it's not an option, we do the best we can.
I'm going to suggest that you clean up the wound as best you can, removing as much of the blu-kote as you can. I personally would use chlorhexidine (hibiclens). If you don't have that then sterile saline or warm, mildly soapy water, or a diluted betadine solution. If it smells bad, like rotten meat, etc. then it's infected. Use warm, wet compresses to try to soften it up, flush it out really well. This may take some time. Get some new pictures once you've cleaned it up. If you see any pus, it will be creamy, pale yellow or white, and firm like cheese, flush it out. There may be tissue that needs to be debrided, pictures will hopefully help with that. Then apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to cover the entire area. I would start her on an antibiotic also. I would really try to not bandage or cover it, that can hold bacteria in. Fish mox (amoxicillin) is available on line and some tractor supply stores carry it (not all). If you have any amoxicillin on hand that is left over from a human, you can use that too. Those would be oral. Tractor Supply stores carry inject-able penicillin, you will need syringes (3ml is usually the smallest they have) (needle size 22) for that, also should be in the store. Let us know what you have/get and someone will help with dosing.
Info for injecting here (it is not difficult):
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry#chickens_shots
Scroll down to 'give injection', and below that is 'treat with penicillin injection'.

Back
Top Bottom