Severe wry neck in 1 1/2 year old Polish hen?

Heres2U_MrsR

Songster
May 21, 2020
We had an issue with mites which were treated two days ago with permethrin/garden dust(topically and in coop, etc.). This hen has me stumped. She presented with general lethargy, but I wasn’t entirely surprised because of the mites. I isolated her with a pullet who was also pale and lethargic. The pullet(lavender orp) is recovering nicely.

This girl though. She went downhill fast yesterday, and by evening had zero control of her neck and head. She’s not paralyzed...she’s try to move around. I have her bundled up in a towel to keep for from smothering herself/banding her neck. This isn’t like wry neck that I’ve dealt with before, and I am doing the protocols for that. In addition to the lethargy she had mucus around her beak and in her throat. Don’t see any gapeworms. I’m carefully syringe feeding her water into the side of her beak with electrolytes, egg yolk, and a small amount of honey(I’m rotating with yogurt, pumpkin purée). Giving E, B vits. She cannot eat, and is on her side. Her eyes are bright and alert - she’s watching me- and she is readily drinking what I’m syringing. I do not feel that tubing is at all safe with her neck in this condition. She’s hard molting, but I’m thinking that’s stress-induced?

I don’t know what to do at this point. Any suggestions?
BB112318-7453-4767-8BC6-9563F36F9A98.jpeg
745D7E0A-364A-40BC-90D9-5E1E06989CAD.jpeg

In addition to the lethargy she had mucus around her beak and in her throat. Don’t see any gapeworms.

She’s hard molting, but I’m thinking that’s stress-induced?
Poor thing!

Did the recovering Orp also have mucous in her beak and throat or just the Polish? Did you notice if there's any lesions/white yellow pasty material or bad odor about the head/beak?

I think right now, you are doing what you can for her. Keeping her hydrated and offering vitamin therapy.

You mention stress induced - due to molt or has she been stressed by picking/changes within the flock, etc.?

Look on the ingredients label on that bottle of permethrin you used. Does it say anywhere "petroleum distillates - keep pets away from treated area"?
BCF20ED9-EE4C-4230-B7E0-1610C78B5AD9.jpeg

It’s this one. It crossed my mind that she had a reaction to it. What can I do if so and she’s having a neurological response?

Poor thing!

Did the recovering Orp also have mucous in her beak and throat or just the Polish? Did you notice if there's any lesions/white yellow pasty material or bad odor about the head/beak?

I think right now, you are doing what you can for her. Keeping her hydrated and offering vitamin therapy.

You mention stress induced - due to molt or has she been stressed by picking/changes within the flock, etc.?
Yeah, it’s killing me! She’s watching me and doesn’t seem to be in pain. She just has zero ability to control her head and neck. It’s about as rigid as spaghetti.

Molting- I wasn’t sure if she could’ve started a normal molt and is now so stressed that this has kicked into high gear. We did have a hawk visit last week, but I saw him before he could do anything. Since then we haven’t allowed any free ranging, but they do have a nice run to knock around in.

The mucus had hardened somewhat and I cleaned her up. No lesions, and I don’t smell anything to indicate crop issues. The mucus seems to have dissipated since.

No, that permethrin product is perfectly safe. Just needed to rule out toxin poisoning as the symptoms do point to that.

Take @dawg53 advice and give the vitamin supplement. I would also give vitamin E 400iu along with it to combat any neurological issues.

But try to think what she may have been exposed to over the last 24 hours. He symptoms are troubling. Any rodent baits, insecticides, or leaking machinery in the vicinity of her daily activity?

No, that permethrin product is perfectly safe. Just needed to rule out toxin poisoning as the symptoms do point to that.

Take @dawg53 advice and give the vitamin supplement. I would also give vitamin E 400iu along with it to combat any neurological issues.

But try to think what she may have been exposed to over the last 24 hours. He symptoms are troubling. Any rodent baits, insecticides, or leaking machinery in the vicinity of her daily activity?
I’m going to pick my husbands brain to see if he can think of anything. Thing is, she has been inside my home in a crate. The poultry dust is the first insecticide we’ve used in many years. We have a Sulcata tortoise and I don’t want her getting her nosy self into anything that can hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom