Severely Bloody Vent, What is the Problem and How to Treat *Graphic*

KindVonDerMond

Songster
Aug 25, 2017
Hi this is an emergency so Ill be quick. the girls have been inside most of the day (young ones forgot to let them out) abd when I let them out today (about 3pm), I noticed one of my hens had a very bloody vent, with what looks almost like a white pus coming out of it. her feathers and part of her side is are very bloody. Pictures below. IMG_20190305_150716824_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190305_150803133 (1).jpg

Will try for better images, but she's been pretty evasive, and the rooster is no help.

Hi this is an emergency so Ill be quick. the girls have been inside most of the day (young ones forgot to let them out) abd when I let them out today (about 3pm), I noticed one of my hens had a very bloody vent, with what looks almost like a white pus coming out of it. her feathers and part of her side is are very bloody. Pictures below.View attachment 1691831 View attachment 1691832
Will try for better images, but she's been pretty evasive, and the rooster is no help.
Ouch. It looks to me like her vent may have been pecked by others. In addition, from your description, there could be something like vent gleet going on. Here's a thread you may find helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-has-white-stuff-coming-from-vent-pic-included.865617/.

I haven't experienced this with my chickens, but cleaning her up and getting a good look at the area would help inform next steps. With wounds, I like to clean the area and then spray with Vetericyn, which promotes healing. She'll need to be separated from the others until she's healed to prevent further damage. Since she's under stress from the injury, I would also offer an oral supplement like Poultry Nutri-Drench to fortify her and aid healing.

Tagging @Eggcessive for additional advice.

It looks like cannibalism and vent pecking as others have already said. It occurs with boredom, overcrowding, not enough protein in the diet, and may happen when red tissue is visible around the vent, such as during egg laying or after a prolapsed vent. I would bring her inside, soak her in a shallow warm bath to clean her up, blow dry, and take a pic. Vetericyn Wound Spray, weak betadine or chlorhexidene are good to use for first aid, then apply some plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. If there is a prolapse that may need more treatment.

We tried our best, we set up a quarantine area and soaked her while trying to clean her. In the end she freaked out a few times, and died in my arms. I'm glad I was there in her last moments, but I'm very scared that she had coccidiosis.

Back
Top Bottom