X2 on the gamebird or turkey feed!!
I was looking at game bird feed yesterday. I was just concerned if it had too much protein for the healing process.
Iv read conflicting stories on whats too mich good lol.
I have been giving her regular chick grower feed since I have been using it for my chicken.
Been giving her yogurt for calcium and suppliment with things like oatmeal and plain popcorn and mealworms for treats.
I have been putting regular avian vitamins drops in her water daily.
So far she is doing well. Over two weeks now and I didnt think she would last a day. :)

I was looking at game bird feed yesterday. I was just concerned if it had too much protein for the healing process.
Iv read conflicting stories on whats too mich good lol.
I have been giving her regular chick grower feed since I have been using it for my chicken.
Been giving her yogurt for calcium and suppliment with things like oatmeal and plain popcorn and mealworms for treats.
I have been putting regular avian vitamins drops in her water daily.
So far she is doing well. Over two weeks now and I didnt think she would last a day. :)
Chick grower is not an appropriate feed for any age of turkey. It does not have the proper amount of lysine, methionine or niacin that turkeys need when young. An injured turkey will do better on a turkey or gamebird feed. These feeds are designed for turkeys and gamebirds and guinea fowl. They do no put too much protein in them for these birds. Turkeys are not chickens and do not have the same requirements that chickens need. The feed regimen you are describing is not a good feed regimen for any type of poultry.

I would not waste my money on avian vitamins that are designed for chickens. Get a quality vitamin B complex available at any grocery store. Dissolve one half capsule or tablet in one gallon of water and make this fresh daily. Make it the only source of water and do not add anything else to the water. This will give her the proper amount of niacin and thiamine that will help in her recovery. You can give small amounts of BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) which are a good source of methionine that will help in the feather growth. Do not give a lot of BOSS because it is a low protein and high fat food.

I would think at her age that she could handle a 20-23% feed. Purina recommends 20% after 8 weeks old or 23% gamebird for meat turkeys. My feed stores here carry gamebird starter (23-24%) and flockraiser 20%. Avian vitamins are pretty much the same for all species, but make sure it has thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin. If not using an avian vitamin with minerals, I use B Complex tablets by crushing 1/4 tablet per bird daily and sprinkling on feed with a bit of water or a couple of drops of vegetable oil to cling to the feed.

That is a beautiful and encouraging story! Thank you. What us her name?

We call her "Birdie." She knows her name, and comes to the front when I call her.

I think it helps to tap on the cage latch and call her name before I move things around in there (new straw, fresh water, pick up egg, etc.) Then she is not startled, so she won't jump and hurt herself when I open the door and start moving things around.

I would think at her age that she could handle a 20-23% feed. Purina recommends 20% after 8 weeks old or 23% gamebird for meat turkeys. My feed stores here carry gamebird starter (23-24%) and flockraiser 20%. Avian vitamins are pretty much the same for all species, but make sure it has thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin. If not using an avian vitamin with minerals, I use B Complex tablets by crushing 1/4 tablet per bird daily and sprinkling on feed with a bit of water or a couple of drops of vegetable oil to cling to the feed.
Tbank you. What mg in the b vitaminmin? And whicj b vitamin as there are a few.
I appreciate the help.

We call her "Birdie." She knows her name, and comes to the front when I call her.

I think it helps to tap on the cage latch and call her name before I move things around in there (new straw, fresh water, pick up egg, etc.) Then she is not startled, so she won't jump and hurt herself when I open the door and start moving things around.
That's a good idea. When I approach Turkey Burger I talk to her so she is aware :)

Tbank you. What mg in the b vitaminmin? And whicj b vitamin as there are a few.
I appreciate the help.
Any brand of B Complex, which has most of the different B’s, such as B1thiamine, B2riboflavin, B3niacin, and folic acid.

upload_2018-11-15_21-8-24.jpeg
upload_2018-11-15_21-8-24.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-15_21-7-30.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-15_21-7-30.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2
Chick grower is not an appropriate feed for any age of turkey. It does not have the proper amount of lysine, methionine or niacin that turkeys need when young. An injured turkey will do better on a turkey or gamebird feed. These feeds are designed for turkeys and gamebirds and guinea fowl. They do no put too much protein in them for these birds. Turkeys are not chickens and do not have the same requirements that chickens need. The feed regimen you are describing is not a good feed regimen for any type of poultry.

I would not waste my money on avian vitamins that are designed for chickens. Get a quality vitamin B complex available at any grocery store. Dissolve one half capsule or tablet in one gallon of water and make this fresh daily. Make it the only source of water and do not add anything else to the water. This will give her the proper amount of niacin and thiamine that will help in her recovery. You can give small amounts of BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) which are a good source of methionine that will help in the feather growth. Do not give a lot of BOSS because it is a low protein and high fat food.
I u understand. The bird isnt really mine. I saved it from being pecked to death by its flock on the ranch wherr I live. Tbe turkeys here are basically free range. Domestic but not tame. Birds just show up here . The ranchers feed them grains. Non soecofic grains. The wild ducks come in at feeding time and take part and the chickens on the ramch eat the same. But basically these turkeys forage for their food. They havnt ever had anything fancy.
What I am feeding her is a million times better than what she had free ranging
Any brand of B Complex, which has most of the different B’s, such as B1thiamine, B2riboflavin, B3niacin, and folic acid.

View attachment 1591114View attachment 1591114
Great info thanks so much! Out of class now so on the way to the feed store :)

What I am feeding her is a million times better than what she had free ranging
What turkeys can find and eat while free ranging is far better than anything we can give them. Free ranging provides them with a variety of vegetation, insects, seeds and meat as in mice and other small critters. Get a good all flock feed for her as it will contain higher levels of lysine, methioniine and niacin than any chick grower would have.

Back
Top Bottom