Severely pecked chicken

More space in the coop and run(or cull the older gals as intended to cut down on stocking rate).... and kill the weaker bird along with them. When the whole flock attacks one bird there usually is a good reason for it...that's an instinct to protect the flock from either disease or a barren member. I wouldn't start all these complicated separations, nursing in the house, etc. as they just make life hard on you, on the isolated animal and on the flock. Flock management, if done correctly, takes some tough decisions and keeping an eye out for long term results, not just short term solutions.

I disagree,i have "nursed" many an animal including chickens,who have gone on to become excellent birds. If any bird has an injury regardless of their pecking order status,the others will attack,this girl may have started out with a minor wound and the others saw and came in for the attack.

Each to their own,but i have never found nursing a sick/injured bird an issue.

And I've never had picking or aggression issues in my flocks nor have I needed to nurse a chicken as a result of wounds or picking....because I managed the flock appropriately. If you consistently manage your flock you don't have aggression issues, picking issues or wounds that need protecting from other birds. I've had birds that sustained wounds in other ways that didn't need protecting from their flock mates...because I managed the social structure.

If someone loves to constantly be having trouble with these kinds of issues or nursing sick or wounded birds, then that is the way to go. If they just want normal flock interactions without the need for stress on birds or flock master, then culling appropriately for the betterment of the whole flock is the way to go.

We can agree to disagree.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom