sex influence by heat

Quote:
I want to know too!
pop.gif

However, it has been found that male embryos have a higher in shell mortality rate than female embryos at higher temps. (I think that's right, or maybe I'm remembering it backwards.

That is backwards, from the documentation I've read. Males survive when females do not. That is why so many all-male hatches happen. Very few all-female hatches occur.

Sex of the chick is determined by the female and all sex organs are already formed by the fifth day of incubation.​

I don't want to get in a disagreement with anyone, but I found that I got 80/20 female/male ratio when I have the temp at 102F in a still-air incubator. At 100F I got 50/50. This is based on more than a hundred sex-link chicks I hatched this spring. Everyone can independently choose what they want to do, but I'm setting my bators to 102F next spring. I haven't noticed a negative impact on the hatch with higher temps (other than fewer males hatching).

Remember that there's a temperature difference in still-air vs. forced-air bators.

I do remember reading some article on the web that said this IS true in turkeys (and it gave scientific reasons). I'm not sure where that article is..

My 2 hens stop laying in the last 6 days because the temperature getting really cold (12-20F). I purchased Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco recently. Will play with 98.5F and 102F when eggs available.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add a little disclaimer. I'm not guaranteeing anything, this is just what's worked for me. If you hatch out seven roos and three pullets for example, I don't know what to tell ya. I would definitely not play around with the temp with valuable eggs.

Good luck hatching!
jumpy.gif

Hi All,

Many years ago I read an article, I think it was in Organic Gardening, which described feeding hens collard greens which caused more hens to hatch.
Of course i cannot find the article on line but I'm sure it has to do with changing the pH in the reproductive tract.

"For example, an acidic vaginal environment is more favorable to having a girl baby because it's more friendly to the girl sperm and most hostile to the boy sperm. If you're trying for a son, then you would want an alkaline environment instead."

"In terms of PH, an alkaline reading on the mother to be would make the chances of conceiving a boy greater, while an acidic reading would increases the chances of a girl."

http://www.acidalkaline.net/do-alkaline-foods-influence-your-babys-sex/

http://www.articlesbase.com/pregnan...der-or-sex-of-her-baby-if-so-how-3285503.html

Does anyone grow collards? If so can you check the pH with a pH strip?
Joe

One thing to consider is that, unlike mammals, it is the female that determines the sex in chickens so the environment for the sperm would be irrelevant. However, it is still an intriguing question. I have a feeling that if there were some way to predispose hens to having more female offspring that the poultry industry would already have found it.

Back
Top Bottom