Sex link went broody and hatched chicks

mpwjaa06

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Long County
I was told and have read that sex links don't go broody. I have a black sex link (Lilly) that went broody 5 weeks ago and after two weeks of her really showing interest in being a mom I told my husband let her keep the 5 eggs she has it's only 5 eggs that will be down the drain. Well, she stole other eggs total of 16 and she has so far hatched out 4 beautiful baby's none are hers. She don't care she is an awesome mom she tells them where food and water is. It's funny, so much for them not going broody now I have about 6 or 7 other hens wanting to be a mom now too. They check in on her and her baby's every time I go check on her. We do have her blocked off from the rest of the flock. But, they can still see her and her baby's.
wink.png
But, may not be a great thing since more want to follow.

If a breed isn't known for going broody, it basically means your odds are low, but as you see, it is possible. I had a runner duck hatch out a clutch of 12 ducklings. Runners are not known for their brooding ability, but the crazy thing did a great job, she was very protective and didn't lose a single duckling.

Yes it is a funny thing wow I have a BO and PBR and 2 RIR's 3 cochin's I got them for their broodiness and none of them have ever gone broody. I am so glad to finally have a standard chicken go broody. When the others didn't go broody I bought silkie's and that was the only way of naturally getting chicks now I am happy she just took to many eggs. I am not use to 16 chicks unless I incubate. Thanks for the info. About the runner ducks. I didn't buy any because they don't go broody. I got my sex links from a local feed store. They got them from a hatchery. I called them up to make sure that's where they got them from. I am happy all the same

One of my red sex-links went broody last summer, two weeks after one of my Buff Orps did the same. I didn't have the heart to deny her so she sat there for three weeks..but only managed to hatch one chick. (it was female, at least) The Buff Orp did much better. If Sweet goes broody again I'll probably try to break her of it since she isn't very successful. She's one of my best layers so I hate to lose all the production.

If you want a good layer duck that will also go broody, Welsh Harlequins are a good breed. Buff ducks will also go broody. They don't lay quite as well, but are meatier. Both are considered dual purpose breeds.

Back
Top Bottom