Sex- linked Information

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tadkerson, Oct 27, 2009.

1. SJ

SJ Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    You dont HAVE TO produce one seeing as a white laced red cornish roo is gold and dominant white. You will get sex-linked but probably lose some laying ablity from a RIW. I used a WLR cornish over Delawares and SLW for sex-links. All the females hatch gold/yellow or orange (Im color blind, ok!![​IMG]) and the males hatch white. Some males have black specks. I think the specks have something to do with the Delawares barring but IDK. The males make for fine meat birds on free range and the females look pretty much like their daddy and lay a respectable 150+ medium sized tinted eggs a year.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. SJ

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    X2

3. SJ

Oct 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Just have to say thanks Tim. This thread has been a wonderful source of useful information.

4. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    Would the result of crossing a Dark Cornish cock over a Light Brahma hen give a sexlinked chick? Is the Light Brahma a silver? Thanks in advance. jeff

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you look in the very first post in this thread, you'll see a chart Tim put together that shows what you can mix to make sex links. Look in the Red Sex Link table in that post. You'll get your answer.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Have a couple questions --

FIrst let me preface the information with--- I hatched a number of blue cuckoo maran eggs and the head spot was very visible: white on gray.

KNowing this I put a number of black barred hens of various lineages ( tracing back to a black barred rooster) with a black Americana and a blue ameraucana. Both have red in their hackles.

Will I have trouble sexing the chicks when the hens carry a hidden red?

If both males are double black, I should not have any red chicks, correct? THese males are supposed to be pure bred . . . .

I was planning to add silver laced wyandottes to the mix. THese chicks will not have a spot on the head, one will be silver based and the other not. I think I will need to hatch these eggs separate from the above eggs, correct?

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Red not a problem.

The chances are very small that you would hatch a red chick.

You will be able to tell the difference between the sex linked chicks and the wyandotte chicks.

Tim

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I was referring to offspring from a red sex linked cross. In order to obtain a egg production type male bird ( purebred for gold and dominant white) that can be used in a sex-linked cross, you will have to make one by crossing a red-sex linked male and female. Then select from the offspring the appropriate males. I know of no male American breed that will fit the bill. The bird would be a white tailed red. There are white tailed red female hybrids; red sex-links.

Tim

9. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    [​IMG]

The chick closest to the bucket was sold to me as a female sex-link... but it's not red, or black, and it's barred. What's the deal? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's them at a day or two old. They were a chocolate brown, no red or black.

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Looks partridge, they look barred as chicks, the lacing comes it around 4 months, when thier adult feathers come in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by