Sex-links - all of the fun, non-technical stuff

I have 2 red and 1 black sex links. All are very sweet and lay great. My newest red just started laying at 15 1/2 weeks. I love them but have had more health issues in the past with them than other breeds (crop and egg binding issues). Still, they are the sweetest of all my breeds.

Quote:
Ahhhh. Ok.
I should probably stop obsessing about this and just pick one. I need to move on with getting the yard ready to build a coop. I just found two wood doors at the re-store that will be perfect for the Coop-That-Has-Yet-To-Be-Designed.
big_smile.png

(That is not to mention building and testing an incubator. I am SO glad to have found BYC.)

At least hatching sex links our first time out should make one thing easier.
tongue.png

Thank you.

Quote:
Your Darla sounds like a sweety. I hope we are so fortunate with our birds!

Eventually I would like to add a Maran to the flock just for the dark eggs. That and an EE, of course. I think it will be fun for the kids to collect eggs in a range of colors.

One day, I will choose breeds based on what I want.
woot.gif

Last edited:
Mignonette - I'm sure that it wouldn't be the first coop designed around the doors!
big_smile.png
Mine was designed around a couple cabinet doors that came out of my grandfather's house and a window that came from my daughters room when we put in a larger one.

I'm still waiting for my first egg, but I suspect that Kindness will be the first to lay. Here are my girls now at 16 weeks.

Kindness - with her last remaining tail feather!
roll.png

587_k_1.jpg

587_k_3.jpg

Goodness (doing her best immitation of a seagul)
587_g_3.jpg

587_g_4.jpg

587_g_1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Your birds are cute.
I love how much personality they can have.

I have the opportunity to chicken(and goat)-sit next week for friends who are going to be away and the kids and I are looking forward to it. I am especially looking forward to getting a better idea of the day-to-day realities of having a flock. Of course they have about 50 birds and I will only be having 6........ ,but still, it should be educational.

Actually, I think most of hers are red sex-links, so it will help me get an idea of what they are like.

How did your coop turn out? Were you happy with designing around what you had, or would you do it differently next time?

I love love LOVE my Golden Comets! They're so calm and inquisitive! Here's some pics of my girls:

When they were 4 days old (ignore the barred cochin):

80950_twoweeksold.jpg

At 14 weeks and hilariously inquisitive:

80950_chickentv.jpg
I just got a golden buff sex link 10 week old pullet. When I posted pictures everyone said that it was a cockeral because it is mostly white, but the girl on the right looks almost all white. I'm wondering if it's possible to have a 10 week old pullet that is almost all white and a gold buff sex link. Pictures included - thanks everyone! I really want to keep it.

I just got a golden buff sex link 10 week old pullet. When I posted pictures everyone said that it was a cockeral because it is mostly white, but the girl on the right looks almost all white. I'm wondering if it's possible to have a 10 week old pullet that is almost all white and a gold buff sex link. Pictures included - thanks everyone! I really want to keep it.

Any updates on this "pullet"?

Any updates on this "pullet"?

Yes! It turned out to be a he. I gave him away to a very nice BYCer who lives close by. I was told he'd have 8 hens all to himself, so I'm sure he's livin' the life!

Back
Top Bottom