Sex of 2 16-week old birds... and next steps?

SpaceyTracy

Chirping
May 10, 2021
Vermont
Earlier this year I got two chicks from a neighbor to try to fool my broody hen into thinking they were hers. Didn't work, but we decided to keep the chicks. They are of an unknown probably mixed breed. At this point they are fairly well accepted by my little flock of 5 3-yo Australorp hens, except they still don't roost with them (the young ones insist on roosting in the secure, covered run, outside the coop).

Until recently, I thought the two looked the same and was guessing/hoping they were both pullets. But now they're starting to look a little different. So I have two questions. 1: What sex do folks think these two are? 2: I'm pretty sure I don't want to get into managing a rooster, future chicks, etc., and would rather try to find a new home for the male (if there is one). Is that fair to or safe for the other young one? They pretty much hang out as a pair. Thank you!

2 youngsters 1.jpg

2 youngsters 2.jpg

Another photo to show their feet. The same bird is on the left and right in both photos.

Earlier this year I got two chicks from a neighbor to try to fool my broody hen into thinking they were hers. Didn't work, but we decided to keep the chicks. They are of an unknown probably mixed breed. At this point they are fairly well accepted by my little flock of 5 3-yo Australorp hens, except they still don't roost with them (the young ones insist on roosting in the secure, covered run, outside the coop).

Until recently, I thought the two looked the same and was guessing/hoping they were both pullets. But now they're starting to look a little different. So I have two questions. 1: What sex do folks think these two are? 2: I'm pretty sure I don't want to get into managing a rooster, future chicks, etc., and would rather try to find a new home for the male (if there is one). Is that fair to or safe for the other young one? They pretty much hang out as a pair. Thank you!

View attachment 3628264
View attachment 3628266
Another photo to show their feet. The same bird is on the left and right in both photos.
Girls!!

I thought the two looked the same and was guessing/hoping they were both pullets. But now they're starting to look a little different. So I have two questions. 1: What sex do folks think these two are?
I agree with the first poster.. both are pullets! :celebrate

Cockerels would have had red combs and wattles by about 8 weeks old.

Gender specific saddle feathers start coming in around 10-12 weeks (on non hen feathered breeds) and usually well by 16 weeks.. see examples from google for comparison..

1693870064258.png

1693870080825.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom