Sex please?

In this case, the different colors are caused by having different mothers.

The white chicks have the White Leghorn mothers, and are not sexlinks. Sex linking requires a gold father and a silver mother. In this case, the Leghorns gave their chicks Extended Black (makes the whole chicken black) and Dominant White (turns all black to white, except that it can miss a few bits.) With those genes, you cannot see the effects of silver & gold, even though the rooster is gold, and even if the hen did happen to have silver.

The red chick has the other mother, the hen that is mostly black with a gold necklace. It is also not a sexlink. (Or it has some other mother that is not a White Leghorn. I don't know if the photo shows all possible hens, or just some of them.)
These are the moms indeed. The brown chicks belong to the black hen.

They are about 2 months old, right? I would expect males to be pretty obvious by now, and I'm not seeing any obvious males in your photos. So I think they might all be pullets.
Yes they are. But the father was a distinct “female” until 5 months of age. Could they also have this awful extreme Late blooming?

Father at three and a half-four months old:
A0E7E847-FCDD-4CF5-9273-D3689800016B.jpeg

Yes they are. But the father was a distinct “female” until 5 months of age. Could they also have this awful extreme Late blooming?
If the father was a late bloomer, yes his chicks could be too. You might have to wait longer to be sure, but I can't say how much longer.

Back
Top Bottom