Sex these please

Hey farmdude, i live in uk and these are easy to find here. I would love them to be pullets as i have no intensions of using them for the meat, can't bring myself to eat my chickens lol.

Quote:
Okay, I didn't realize you weren't in the U.S. I haven't ever heard of anyone having them over here. I could never eat any of my own chickens either!

Few people have said probably pullets but one is a bit iffy/ suspicious, can anyone speculate a bit more why? what are you seeing to think one could maybe be roo?
Just interested so i can learn what to look out for.

the redding of the comb on the one...they both look very much a like to me so i would have to guess at them being both pullets try posting pics in about 2-3 weeks (14-15 weeks old) please

I will post new pics in a few weeks and for now a big thank you to every one for their input.

If you make pictures of the feathers on their back that´s a quicker way to tell if these are hens or roo´s (from what i can see..i believe they're all hens). Young roosters develop secundary feathering at a very early stage and those can be found at a couple of weeks allready (depending on the breed). If you find pointed feathers with extra sheen to them, that´s a male. If they are rounded it´s a female.

But as an old breeder told me once.."If you doubt..it's a male"
wink.png

Here's a pic. of a young male so you can see what i mean.

normal_veer1.jpg

normal_veer4.jpg

Age of bird at time of pic. 7 weeks.

In birds solid colored (none single combed) this is the quickest way to set them apart.

Back
Top Bottom