Sexing 6 Month Old Bourbon Red Turkey, Hen, or Tom?

It is preferable that the feathers still be attached to the turkey. I personally would not make any judgement based on a single feather. Go in the pen with the turkeys to get the picture. Pictures through the fence with the fence in focus and the bird out of focus are worthless.
I wasn't able to get pictures today, ran low on time. I'll have more time for that tomorrow.

Here's pictures of the black tipped feathers. His/her rump still has juvenile feathers.
1017191329.jpg
1017191327.jpg
This as best as I can get since he/she runs away from me when I get too close. Plus, my dad never installed a gate into the run section, so I have to crawl through the same door they use.

Here's pictures of the black tipped feathers. His/her rump still has juvenile feathers.View attachment 1937780View attachment 1937781This as best as I can get since he/she runs away from me when I get too close. Plus, my dad never installed a gate into the run section, so I have to crawl through the same door they use.
Only the adult breast feathers have any meaning in indicating the sex of a dark feathered turkey. Feathers on other parts of the body are not useful in determining sex. Blurry pictures whether from being out of focus or from motion blur are worthless for determining much of anything.

Only the adult breast feathers have any meaning in indicating the sex of a dark feathered turkey. Feathers on other parts of the body are not useful in determining sex. Blurry pictures whether from being out of focus or from motion blur are worthless for determining much of anything.
Okay. I would have to have somebody to hold the turkey to get breast feather pictures. My sister is sick right now, & won't be able help me. My mom has a bad neck, & back, & won't be able to crawl through the hole, & my dad is too big to crawl through the hole.

Still not able to get pictures of his/her breast feathers, but I got an egg from one of our BB Bronze Turkeys yesterday, one has been showing nesting behavior.
1024192037.jpg
The speckled off-white fat egg, below the chicken egg.

Back
Top Bottom