Sexing a barred rock

The feather patters appears female at this point. And dark wash legs are often girls... but when it comes to hatchery stock, you kinda get what you get.

I have one girl who's white stripes were definitely wider than her 2 flock mates and had me worried. She turned into a good hen. And the real noticible difference went away as the matured.

Are you comparing her comb to other girls of her same breed/age that you have? Even comparing to other straight comb breeds, there are differences in sizes between breeds, I've noticed.
smile.png

I wouldn't currently be worried about her being a cockerel... unless she's unusually agreesive chest bumping and such, then maybe. The BR are often top in th epecking order, in 2 seperate flocks I've had so far. Not bullies though!

Does anyone know any signs an RIR is a girl or boy? I have one, she is really calm and friendly and loves to be held. Never chest bumped anyone. I have seen my hen chest bump though hahah.

Does anyone know any signs an RIR is a girl or boy? I have one, she is really calm and friendly and loves to be held. Never chest bumped anyone. I have seen my hen chest bump though hahah.
When they crow, it's a sign!
lol.png
Just kidding, I know you ment juveniles.

You can post pics.
smile.png

Confidence is sometimes a sign, but not always. Some are just awesome chickens from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom