Sexing Buffs

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
Do roosters become obvious at all before 16 or 17 weeks? From pictures I've seen, adult buffs all look the same and the roosters only have a bit of physical difference, plus the waddle (wattle?) of course....My chicks are 11 days old, so I think they are beyond feather sexing, but based on feathers from watching the chicks everyday, the one I think is the rooster is the smallest one, and started feathers last, and is the only one who doesn't have tail feathers.

But the guessing is driving me crazy. Is there an age timeline for when my roo will become more obvious?

Your fine! We are all learning!

IMG_20181124_133417.jpg

My son discovered that they love cornmeal

IMG_20181124_133340.jpg

This is the one I suspect is the rooster, just from watching his feathers come out. This was the only one who's feathers matched the feather sexing description for roosters when I got them.

View attachment 1598649
My son discovered that they love cornmeal

View attachment 1598650
This is the one I suspect is the rooster, just from watching his feathers come out. This was the only one who's feathers matched the feather sexing description for roosters when I got them.
Okay. These are way too young. There isn't anything that points one way or the other at this age.
Post pics of their combs at 6-8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom