Sexing French Maran chicks, advice please

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7627452/width/350/height/700[/I M

I was told black copper Moran so that being said boy or girl??

I hope this one works

Thanks centrachid, drumstick diva, henny1129 for advice. Guess I'll keep one and try again with some more Marans eggs.

(big sigh)

Ummmmm? I think one of my Marans roosters? just laid an egg?

Just found this egg. It's quite dark but only small, 22g. I have 3 Isa Brown/Australorpe that are 3 years old that regularly lay big eggs like the left one. I have 3 Araucana that are 7 months old and laying little blue eggs and these 3 Marans that are 3 months old and supposedly roosters? Could one of them be a hen?

Just found this egg. It's quite dark but only small, 22g. I have 3 Isa Brown/Australorpe that are 3 years old that regularly lay big eggs like the left one. I have 3 Araucana that are 7 months old and laying little blue eggs and these 3 Marans that are 3 months old and supposedly roosters? Could one of them be a hen?
None of the birds pictured (except the Black Araucana in the background, of course) appear to be pullets. Unless you have a rare hen that looks like a rooster, it must be one of your other birds that laid the dark egg. Sometimes hens have minor glitches in their egg production systems and lay irregularly sized, shaped, or colored eggs--maybe that happened to one of your Isa Browns/Australorps?

Last edited:

those Marans are all roosters.

The little egg is a fart/wind/fairy egg. Just a glitch from one of your big girls. It's darker cause the same amount of pigment is concentrated on a smaller size surface. They usually have no yolk inside.

Back
Top Bottom