Sexing my 5 week old barred rocks

#2 is definitely a cockerel, #1 has significantly less comb so may be a pullet. I am somewhat confused as to who is who in your most recent pictures, you don't have them labeled there. The most recent photo is of a cockerel. The previous photos at 5 weeks look like pullets, though the comb is a little on the large side.

The general guideline is 10 hens per rooster to minimize over mating and possible fighting. You have enough for 1 rooster, possibly 2 if they get along okay and are raised together.
You got some cockerels. Just see how it goes. They tend to get an attitude as they go through a teenager hormonal phase and you might not think they're so cute. ;-) Alternatively, they could be sweet and good to the girls.
Here are my barred rocks at about 5 weeks.. I’m crossing my fingers they can both keep their girl names 🤣
megbert said:
Here are my barred rocks at about 5 weeks.. I’m crossing my fingers they can both keep their girl names 🤣
Here are my barred

You got some cockerels. Just see how it goes. They tend to get an attitude as they go through a teenager hormonal phase and you might not think they're so cute. ;-) Alternatively, they could be sweet and good to the girls.
The last pic I posted is of chick number two. Here is number one...

Attachments

• 34C87FB0-224B-4E83-BEA1-844F0A34BC34.jpeg
    34C87FB0-224B-4E83-BEA1-844F0A34BC34.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 12
#2 is definitely a cockerel, #1 has significantly less comb so may be a pullet. I am somewhat confused as to who is who in your most recent pictures, you don't have them labeled there. The most recent photo is of a cockerel. The previous photos at 5 weeks look like pullets, though the comb is a little on the large side.

The general guideline is 10 hens per rooster to minimize over mating and possible fighting. You have enough for 1 rooster, possibly 2 if they get along okay and are raised together.

That last pic was of chick number 2. Here is a recent of number 1

Attachments

• D60ECBCA-F4D2-42D0-B8FF-9075BB7F70DD.jpeg
    D60ECBCA-F4D2-42D0-B8FF-9075BB7F70DD.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 17
Okay. Recent pics for those following. Chick number 2 is on the left and chick number 1 on the right.

Attachments

• 3D61798A-169B-4254-96B0-F5C2BB15465F.jpeg
    3D61798A-169B-4254-96B0-F5C2BB15465F.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 12
Yes. The lighter one with the larger comb and wattle is the cockerel.

People who work with lots of Barred Plymouth Rocks and have experience can sex the 3-week-old chicks going with females as darker and cockerels as lighter. I think with the babies there is something about the size of the white spot on the head, but have forgotten.

Your post is actually helpful to those who are new to Barred Plymouth Rocks because there are several pics that show the stages of development.

If I made a mistake in the post above, I will remove it. :)

Back
Top Bottom