Sexing my peafowl

Tbonter101

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2016
Michigan
Hi guys!! I bought this opal "Bird"....we shall call it for now last week and I was told when I bought it that it's a male/peacock. I am skeptical of that. She stated the Bird is two years of age. Im thinking it's a hen.
Can anyone on here tell me anything from these pics?
Thanks so much in advance!
[/IMG]

Are these three individual peafowl or just one? If this is just one this is confusing me. The first one looks like a peacock do to the barring. The second looks like a hen do to the lack of barring, the structure of the neck feathers, and the ridge on the side of the neck. The third I'm on the fence about but thinking more of a male than female.

Last edited:
Good eyes @Birdrain92 & @barkerg
clap.gif
Not sure what @Tbonter101 was trying to say or ask us here, but those are not the same bird.

Hi guys!! I bought this opal "Bird"....we shall call it for now last week and I was told when I bought it that it's a male/peacock. I am skeptical of that. She stated the Bird is two years of age. Im thinking it's a hen.
Can anyone on here tell me anything from these pics?
Thanks so much in advance!
[/URL]

I personally (speaking as a gardening person), was quite impressed with the lush green grass in Michigan this time of year -- last I heard it was still snowing up there -- but then I happened to notice that this exact same photo of this lovely hen happens to be on Sid's Texas Peafowl website http://www.texaspeafowl.com/DSC_5328.JPG :

... Where she is listed as an opal spalding hen. (We also have a slightly different crop of that same beautiful hen -- properly attributed -- in our BYC image database. http://peafowlimagedatabase.weebly.com/spalding-opal.html Have a look @new 2 pfowl ... )

With that said, the first and third photos appear to be a very nice looking male -- and it looks like @q8peafowl chimed in while I was writing this, hi q8
frow.gif

Assuming that the male bird in pics #1 &3 is @Tbonter101 's, did the seller happen to mention anything about it being a spalding? What do you guys think???

And I am green with envy over the aviary.

BTW, before we forget -- welcome to the peafowl forum of BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
hen ..... why : small head and on her back the feathers became to change and get one one color .... no more barred feathers !
A picture of the back ... is needed !

hen ..... why : small head and on her back the feathers became to change and get one one color .... no more barred feathers !
A picture of the back ... is needed !
I agree with @Dany12 that better pictures would be very helpful!

@barkerg , if the bird is a spalding, what does that suggest about the barring on the tail feathers? (I had to click on the image to get it large enough to see
old.gif
)

I agree with @Dany12 that better pictures would be very helpful!

@barkerg , if the bird is a spalding, what does that suggest about the barring on the tail feathers? (I had to click on the image to get it large enough to see
old.gif
)

I know the question was directed to barkerg I've seen Spalding peahens will barring on tail feather and tail coverts. I'm talking about very low % Spalding.

Back
Top Bottom