Sexing my peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Tbonter101, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Tbonter101

Tbonter101 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    Michigan
    Thanks for replying guys!!! So let me clarify......the first and third are my Bird...pics I took. The second is the pic the seller sold the Bird off. So, your thinking that's a different Bird? I just used it because it was a clear pic.....and assumed she used a pic of the correct Bird but maybe not!
    But Latte is pictured in the first and third in pics I personally took! :)
    You thinking male??

2. Tbonter101

Apr 16, 2016
    Michigan
    I will take another pic of him today! A good one of his back! He is still settling in so he isn't quite as calm as my others yet.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  3. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Wasn't meaning to leave you out, @Birdrain92 [​IMG], he just has those darn greens! But yes, you have spaldings too, as I now recall. I brought it up because that purple pied spalding peahen of mine has barring in her tail. So what do you think? Is that bird in pics #1 & #3 also a low-percentage spalding? That seems to me it could possibly change things [​IMG]

4. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014

Hmmm, not sure who the seller was or where the seller may be located, but that picture is of an opal spalding hen, taken in Texas some years ago. Not sure under what basis seller sent you that photo -- maybe just to illustrate what the birds might look like? I'd be concerned if the seller represented it as a photo of this bird specifically. You might go back through your conversations and see exactly what was said.

I personally am a bit puzzled at this point, and not at all sure without better photos. You should take multiple photos, including the bird's back, shoulders, train and tail feathers, legs and feet (spurs? can still happen on hens, btw), head and neck Try for the best lighting you can get, and get good focus and as close as you can.

We all latched onto the barring -- but if your bird is a spalding, barring can be deceptive. Can you get some good photos of the face and crest? And perhaps photos of the bird standing up?

I'm still drooling over the aviary -- what can you tell us about it?

In any event, it's a nice-looking bird. Make sure you do all your new bird preventative medicine stuff. Thanks for sharing photos!

Edited to add: @Tbonter101 , if you click on the links I sent earlier, or go to Texaspeafowl.com, you can find that photo of the opal spalding hen.

5. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I can't see any obvious signs of Spalding like the yellow on the face and I'm not seeing a really tight crest like some Spaldings. The only thing is I only have experience with regular Spaldings not different color. I think it might be a regular Opal peacock. If it is a Spalding it would be very low %. I still think it's a Opal peacock do to the neck feather structure is the thing that makes me certain.

Edit: I'm not the only one wanting Greens really bad?

6. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    [​IMG] Pretty sure you aren't nearly the only one wanting greens really badly, @Birdrain92 . I love looking at them, but owning them is not for me. However, you are in very good company -- the list of folks here on the peafowl forum that really, really want them is longer than the list of folks who don't, I suspect. [​IMG]

7. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    He could has few green blood but, he is a male for sure.

8. Tbonter101

Apr 16, 2016
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic I took just now!!! Hope this helps!!
    Thanks again for your help!

9. Tbonter101

Apr 16, 2016
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Not as good of lighting in this pic! :(

10. Tbonter101

Apr 16, 2016
    Michigan
    [​IMG]