Sexing my White Brahmas!!! HELP!!

OneLostHen

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Houston TX
Hello all!! I am brand new to chicken owning and juust bought these two White Brahmas.. I was told they were both pullets and are around 12 weeks old.. However, one has a larger, more red comb than the other. BUT the one with the comb is smaller than the one without. And I though I read somewhere that females have larger tails, well the one with the smaller comb does have the larger tail.. Also, the smaller one(one with prominent comb) chirps less when frightened. If that means anything at all.. But I know little to nothing about them (obviously) so was hoping I could get some help..

The one with more prominent comb:

Another of same one:

One with less comb:

Size Difference: This also shows the tail difference as well...

So, what do you think?

They do both still do the little peepeepeeps.. neathr one has a lower voice than the other one also.. Help! I need both to be ladies!!

First of all it's Light Brahma not White Brahma. Secondly, the one with the prominent comb appears to be a cockerel but he's not a Brahma. He has a single comb & he should have a pea comb. He's a cross breed of some sort. Since he does have feathered shanks I assume he's part Brahma. Can't see the comb on the other one.

Thank you. Thats interesting.. The one with the comb is quite a bit smaller than the Brahma. So if there is no way that one is a female than I guess I can try to exchange it..

You were duped with the one. The boy(single comb) is NOT pure bread.

I personally like buying chicks as hatchlings that were sexed from a hatchery. The yôunger they come home to you, the easier it is to tame them from my experience. Ive only bought from hatcheries, which I get from a local store.

I bought a dark brahma last year and a light brahma this year.

Dark Brahma Cookie
50464874.jpg

Light Brahma Melody, she was hatched 4-5 days ago.
bc861a2c.jpg

I am really enjoying them!! Yea, the one with the bigger comb does indeed look different. I am quite sure the bigger one is a hen. I am hoping the mixed breed one is a type of hen with a bigger comb type.. (just being super hopeful its a hen) If it is indeed a roo the people I got them from said they would exchange it, but till then, the one would be all alone. So Im not real sure how I would handle all that. Just wait and see if it crows...
Here are more updated pics:

Playing in the coop

They are sooo friendly! I love how they like to interact with people! Even if that one is a mutt, I am very pleased with its temperment. Id hate to get attached and it end up bein a roo.. But I cant have one as Ive only one coop and building only one run and i dont want fertilized eggs or listen to the cock-a-doodle-doo...

Back
Top Bottom