sexing polish by looks(only a few days old?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Jul 19, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    ive been wanting some polish chickens for a while, but havent had a chance, the feed store near me has been waiting on some. today, i was told that they will be hatching this wed. and should be there friday! i think its a variety, i dont know... and they will be unsexed!

Is there anything you can tell me that i can use when selecting the lovelies??

Thanks!

fwiw im pretty sure they are coming from ideal

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    no one? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    hmmm...Im not sure. Only by a few days old it will be hard to tell. [​IMG]

I know there is a way you can tell by looking at their 'vents' but its very hard. You may want to look it up online. If it was me, I would just look and see which ones look more aggressive and jumpy. I know thats not always the case, but its better then nothing. Good Luck.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    vent sexing has to be done at a day old. you'll have to wait until their fluffy tops come in

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Day or few old polish are hard to sex I think.I had Polish 5 year's.Buyer's alway's was asking can tell sex?.NOOOOO sorry they basicaly all look the same for a while.I sold mine strictly as straight run.You can usualy tell pretty well at a few week's old over over a month the hen's crest will be round and soft and the males have Spikey Punk Rock head's.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Your best bet to to get a few and wait some months before you are able to identify the boys from the girls.

7. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    OK, I figured it was worth a shot.. on others, ive heard about the double layered wing feathers indicating female, but didnt know if the polish were the same.

.. i still cant wait to get them.. i will be devastated if they all turn out to be boys though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by