Sexing ringneck chicks ?

i think i was able to tell with my ringnecks by 3 months but melanistic mutant ringnecks can be feather-sexed as chicks
@007Sean ......???
Your correct muddy75, melanistic's can be feather-sexed. Ring necked pheasants take a little longer 3 to 4 months. Some folks can sex them at hatching but I have never been able to reliably...has to do with certain markings on the chicks head that allow to sex...the mark's behind the eye look the same for both sexes to me! :hmm

You can do it on very young chicks. Check around the eyes. Males will have a spot where the bright red wattles will come in later on in life. Worked for me pretty reliably.

You can do it on very young chicks. Check around the eyes. Males will have a spot where the bright red wattles will come in later on in life. Worked for me pretty reliably.
That's what I thought but I've also read that it was the size, shape of the dark spot behind the eye? that determines whether it's a male or female...it was used for day old to a few week olds?
As I remember I guessed right 1 time :lau other than that time not so much. I just wait and see but I don't raise that many ring necked's anymore...not much demand for them here.

Back
Top Bottom