Sexing silkies

RGP94

Hatching
May 21, 2020
I have a beautiful bearded Silkie who I'm guessing is around 4 months old.
I haven't seen any major rooster like behaviour and no crowing.
However while drying in front of the fire today I noticed they are developing a rather upright stance and straighter tail. They are also bigger than the grey silkie who is the same age.

Wondering what people's thoughts are on whether I could have a sneaky rooster hidden amongst the hens? I believe Silkies can take a while longer than other breeds to declare themselves.

Attachments

• chickens inside.pdf
    812.8 KB · Views: 22
It is a Cockerel, but may I see an up close picture of the comb for confirmation, silkie roosters have a bulge on their comb that goes upwards towards their hat, hens Combs are flat. The roosters will also have a less puffy hat and it is somewhat swept back.

I have a 5 month old Silkie with a single comb. Not sure if it’s a roo or a hen. Could someone help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 12
I have a 5 month old Silkie with a single comb. Not sure if it’s a roo or a hen. Could someone help.
It's a Cockerel, but It doesn't seem to be a fullbred silkie, it has somewhat of a single comb and the comb is maroon, not black. Silkies don't have Combs like that. I don't know what it could be mixed with though.
@OneHappyRooster might be able to help though

Back
Top Bottom