sexing silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tsuga, May 21, 2010.

1. Tsuga

Tsuga Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Maine
    I recently picked up some white silkies chicks and was wondering, as they grow older does it become easy to tell the roosters from the hens? I have heard that its somewhat difficult with this breed. I'd like to hear peoples experience with this and any tips on determining the sex.

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    It's pretty difficult. The only for sure method is waiting till they crow (or don't). My little silkie roo started crowing at around 10 weeks so I didn't have to wait too long. Their combs usually grow a bit faster than the pullets, but with all the feathers it's sometimes hard to tell. [​IMG]

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    With experience you can tell at younger and younger ages but that can take years to acquire that experience.

4. Tsuga

Tsuga Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Maine
    what about the waddles, aren't they bigger on a rooster? Wow, 10 weeks to crowing, thats pretty early!

5. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    No guarantees, most bearded Silkie roos have very tiny to almost not visible wattles.

There is almost nothing you can use to determine sex that might be used in other breeds. Most sex characteristics don't make their selves known until six to eight months. That's where an experienced eye comes in to play with birds that are younger.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    After raising a few silkies it gets easier, the little girls have a different shape than the males. I can tell at about 8 weeks which is which now. It is hard to describe though, but pullets sorta look like tribbles, and cockerels carry posture much more proudly than the girls.

7. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Quote:Or lots and lots of roos in a very short time frame. [​IMG]

8. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:Or lots and lots of roos in a very short time frame. [​IMG]

Isn't that the truth. I hatched a ratio of 3 males to 1 females for nearly two years. I'm hoping that is over with this year.

9. Tsuga

Tsuga Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Maine
    I've never seen chickens with such large eyes. Sure hope I get at least on hen out of the three chicks I got. Am looking to hatch out some of the eggs and I hear these are the best setters.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I know silkies are usually really difficult to sex- but I got really fortunate with 2 I picked up at TSC! The roo was totally obvios at just a few weeks- really big wattles & comb. The girl as well. I do like how they seem to have such big eyes- it's because of the color. Most other breeds have the reddish/yellowish iris making them appear smaller. I'm not a silkie person by any means, but my cochins were actually not broody enough this year, and my little girl likes them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by