sexing silkies

Tsuga

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
Maine
I recently picked up some white silkies chicks and was wondering, as they grow older does it become easy to tell the roosters from the hens? I have heard that its somewhat difficult with this breed. I'd like to hear peoples experience with this and any tips on determining the sex.

It's pretty difficult. The only for sure method is waiting till they crow (or don't). My little silkie roo started crowing at around 10 weeks so I didn't have to wait too long. Their combs usually grow a bit faster than the pullets, but with all the feathers it's sometimes hard to tell.
smile.png

With experience you can tell at younger and younger ages but that can take years to acquire that experience.

what about the waddles, aren't they bigger on a rooster? Wow, 10 weeks to crowing, thats pretty early!

No guarantees, most bearded Silkie roos have very tiny to almost not visible wattles.

There is almost nothing you can use to determine sex that might be used in other breeds. Most sex characteristics don't make their selves known until six to eight months. That's where an experienced eye comes in to play with birds that are younger.

Last edited:
After raising a few silkies it gets easier, the little girls have a different shape than the males. I can tell at about 8 weeks which is which now. It is hard to describe though, but pullets sorta look like tribbles, and cockerels carry posture much more proudly than the girls.

Quote:
Or lots and lots of roos in a very short time frame.
roll.png

Isn't that the truth. I hatched a ratio of 3 males to 1 females for nearly two years. I'm hoping that is over with this year.

I've never seen chickens with such large eyes. Sure hope I get at least on hen out of the three chicks I got. Am looking to hatch out some of the eggs and I hear these are the best setters.

Last edited:
I know silkies are usually really difficult to sex- but I got really fortunate with 2 I picked up at TSC! The roo was totally obvios at just a few weeks- really big wattles & comb. The girl as well. I do like how they seem to have such big eyes- it's because of the color. Most other breeds have the reddish/yellowish iris making them appear smaller. I'm not a silkie person by any means, but my cochins were actually not broody enough this year, and my little girl likes them
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom