Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
Thank you very much for the reply. They were born 10/20 and still not a peep from the lighter one (or the blue sizzle that acts all hen). crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!
close up of "rooster"

close up of "hen"

close up of "hen"

Thank you very much for the reply. They were born 10/20 and still not a peep from the lighter one (or the blue sizzle that acts all hen). crossing my fingers!!!!!!!!
close up of "rooster"

close up of "hen"

close up of "hen"

don't take my word for it but I think its a pullet
big_smile.png

Silkie 1 closest to the fence

Silkie 2

Silkie 3
these are all 4 months old, I do have another one that is buff that I didn't post, Im 100% sure he is a boy. he is crowing, these are the same age and are NOT crowing or laying
Silkie 4

Silkie 5 bearded and "supposed" to be a girl..

my mom is an avid silky enthusiast, and breeder. i have seen hundreds of silkies pass through her doors. The easiest way to tell is when they are 3-5 months the males will start to get their crow on. at about six months their crow will be fully developed. even as chicks they stand taller than the females more up right. the hens will hunch. chick sexing comes with experience. at this point i can sex them pretty accurately when the "chick fluff" starts to rub off. the hens tend to have a distinct tuft on their heads. that the roos lack.
at a little over a week or so old.

ignore the cochin/frizzle in the back. the black is a female. the white a male.

hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom