Sexing your Silkies (PICTURES AND TIPS - Updated July-5-12)

Pics
I have been watching and waiting to see what kind of Silkies I have. Originally, I had five but two of the smallest died. The remaining three, one white and two partridge differ enormously in size. The white one is huge although they were all bought at the same time and the same age. I recently came across a mention of miniature partridges. Could this be the explanation???

Any ideas and thoughts please.

Are these the "streamers" people talk about on the back of a cockerel's head? This chick was hatched on Thanksgiving & is starting to get a slightly raised area on it's beak.

I'm relatively new to chickens and completely new to silkies, but have been reading A LOT.

I have two silkies that I think are a pullet and a cockerel, but I'm not sure about my "hen."

I was told that both were hatched on Aug 25, 2016 - so almost 5 months old now.

Joe is the cockerel. He is a bit bigger, much snowier white, has a large red comb, and clear streamers coming out of the back of his head and tail feathers. He crows every morning (and at various other times when he's feeling fussy) and makes a very classic "cock-a-doodle-doo" sound. His feathers around his eyes grow outward and don't cover his eyes up.

Betty I'm not sure about. She is a bit smaller, more of a silver color, and has a rather large (got much larger recently) dark black comb. She also has little streamers on her head and tail, though not as pronounced as Joe's. Her eye feathers cover her eyes easily and I have to trim them back so she can see.

She makes a sound as well, whenever Joe crows. It's more of a little shriek, not a clear "cock-a-doodle doo." I've seen other videos of hens crowing (
) and I think Betty sounds like this. She only crows when Joe crows first, she never crows on her own, and she only crows about once for every 20 crows Joe does (if she does at all). Here's a video of both of them crowing, Joe, then Betty.

0.jpg

I've also noticed behavioral differences between the two. Joe seems to look after Betty (not the other way around) and he'll call her over when he finds tasty food outside and let her eat first. Joe has also been known to fend off potential threats - he jumped at my dog and chased another smaller dog away. Betty has never done anything like this. Joe is more prone to snuggle, Betty prefers keeping to herself.

They're both beautiful birds and I'd love to start hatching some young'ins this summer. I'll probably keep them either way because we've grown pretty attached to both of them at this point. I'd just love to hear some expert opinions because every day I wonder what's going on with Betty. Here are both of them together for comparison:

0.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts, Silkie geniuses!

I know they are still very early for sexing, but can anybody make an educated guess for me? They are 4-5 months old, and we were told they were hens when we bought them. We are doing our paperwork for 4-H and have to sex them, so I wanted to see if anybody could tell me what you think they are, I would

appreciate it.

They look like roos to me. My hen does not have a big raised walnut comb.
I'm relatively new to chickens and completely new to silkies, but have been reading A LOT. I have two silkies that I think are a pullet and a cockerel, but I'm not sure about my "hen." I was told that both were hatched on Aug 25, 2016 - so almost 5 months old now. Joe is the cockerel. He is a bit bigger, much snowier white, has a large red comb, and clear streamers coming out of the back of his head and tail feathers. He crows every morning (and at various other times when he's feeling fussy) and makes a very classic "cock-a-doodle-doo" sound. His feathers around his eyes grow outward and don't cover his eyes up. Betty I'm not sure about. She is a bit smaller, more of a silver color, and has a rather large (got much larger recently) dark black comb. She also has little streamers on her head and tail, though not as pronounced as Joe's. Her eye feathers cover her eyes easily and I have to trim them back so she can see. She makes a sound as well, whenever Joe crows. It's more of a little shriek, not a clear "cock-a-doodle doo." I've seen other videos of hens crowing (
) and I think Betty sounds like this. She only crows when Joe crows first, she never crows on her own, and she only crows about once for every 20 crows Joe does (if she does at all). Here's a video of both of them crowing, Joe, then Betty. I've also noticed behavioral differences between the two. Joe seems to look after Betty (not the other way around) and he'll call her over when he finds tasty food outside and let her eat first. Joe has also been known to fend off potential threats - he jumped at my dog and chased another smaller dog away. Betty has never done anything like this. Joe is more prone to snuggle, Betty prefers keeping to herself. They're both beautiful birds and I'd love to start hatching some young'ins this summer. I'll probably keep them either way because we've grown pretty attached to both of them at this point. I'd just love to hear some expert opinions because every day I wonder what's going on with Betty. Here are both of them together for comparison: Please let me know your thoughts, Silkie geniuses!

Does the size of the crest on their head indicate gender? I ordered 25 silkies chicks from Cackle and some of them have a bigger crest then others. They are only a couple days old.

Back
Top Bottom