Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Most of my hens will keep using the same nest box or nest as long as I leave an egg in there, whether it's theirs or someone else's. But I do have a few hens like Chipie and Piou-piou who require that it should be their own egg.

About the rooster recognizing whether chicks are his own or not : Gaston has been trying to get close to Léa's chicks since he realized they hatched on saturday. Today he succeeded briefly before Léa took them away. Out of six chicks, only two are his : I don't know if it's a coincidence but the first chick he went to and had the time to imprint before Léa called them back is the only yellow chick, which is the most likely to be his offspring.
IMG_20230525_103450.jpg

Most of my hens will keep using the same nest box or nest as long as I leave an egg in there, whether it's theirs or someone else's. But I do have a few hens like Chipie and Piou-piou who require that it should be their own egg.

About the rooster recognizing whether chicks are his own or not : Gaston has been trying to get close to Léa's chicks since he realized they hatched on saturday. Today he succeeded briefly before Léa took them away. Out of six chicks, only two are his : I don't know if it's a coincidence but the first chick he went to and had the time to imprint before Léa called them back is the only yellow chick, which is the most likely to be his offspring.
View attachment 3517702
Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom