Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Thank you. Me too. Of our tribe of 12, 3 are carriocas --naked necks
Our late naked neck rooster fathered a half Silky offspring, along with several naked neck babies. In the process of picking the best young Cockrell from him to continue the tribe.
20230524_192538.jpg
Goldie survived her broken leg and was free ranging with a cochin mama and her babies yesterday morning when a hawk killed one of the pullets. It is the first loss to a hawk. Normally our dogs are lose that time of day but the hvac tech was coming so they were In their kennel. Perhaps they would have dissuaded the hawk. We lost a beautiful lavender orpington pullet and our air con, not a good day yesterday. Here's Goldie and mama hen
20230524_192512.jpg

Hi folks, if you have a moment, please say a prayer or send some good energy to our beautiful and intrepid lead hen Cleo today. My partner Juan and I will be executing another surgery this afternoon to try and extract more of her bumblefoot infection, which has progressed to the top of the foot. We've cleaned as much as possible from the bottom foot pad but there's a big kernel in between the toes and we'll need to lance the foot from the top as well. The muscles and tendons of the leg still work but we need to get this out before it progresses further, and quickly. I've been soaking her for the past two days in warm Epsom salts and applying drawing salve and tumeric paste to bring the infection to the surface and today's the day. She is barely hobbling around and I know it pains her physically and energetically not to be out there supervising the juniors. It's definitely more chaotic out there without her influence. Thanks all and have a good day.
View attachment 3518726
Will be thinking of her and you. Good luck with it!

I do not think Skeksis would do well without me. I know I would not do well without her.
:hugs
It all sounds a bit miserable but I am optimistic you will figure some solution to the concrete jungle. Maybe some raised beds for her to dig around in. Personally a jackhammer to the concrete sounds like a good idea, but I am sure there are regulations.

Hi folks, if you have a moment, please say a prayer or send some good energy to our beautiful and intrepid lead hen Cleo today. My partner Juan and I will be executing another surgery this afternoon to try and extract more of her bumblefoot infection, which has progressed to the top of the foot. We've cleaned as much as possible from the bottom foot pad but there's a big kernel in between the toes and we'll need to lance the foot from the top as well. The muscles and tendons of the leg still work but we need to get this out before it progresses further, and quickly. I've been soaking her for the past two days in warm Epsom salts and applying drawing salve and tumeric paste to bring the infection to the surface and today's the day. She is barely hobbling around and I know it pains her physically and energetically not to be out there supervising the juniors. It's definitely more chaotic out there without her influence. Thanks all and have a good day.
View attachment 3518726
In my prayers šŸ™

@Shadrach , @TropicalChickies @no fly zone and whoever can use it. :
Wishing all the nest and distance love vibes to all humans and chickens in this thread.

IMG_1700.jpeg

Happy tax.
18:00 hrs, The mamaā€™s just announced itā€™s feeding time.
I suppose the Red Sussex on top of the food is one of the boys. They are 3 weeks old now.

View attachment 3518726
You can do this Cleo.:love

Our late naked neck rooster fathered a half Silky offspring, along with several naked neck babies. In the process of picking the best young Cockrell from him to continue the tribe. View attachment 3518792Goldie survived her broken leg and was free ranging with a cochin mama and her babies yesterday morning when a hawk killed one of the pullets. It is the first loss to a hawk. Normally our dogs are lose that time of day but the hvac tech was coming so they were In their kennel. Perhaps they would have dissuaded the hawk. We lost a beautiful lavender orpington pullet and our air con, not a good day yesterday. Here's Goldie and mama henView attachment 3518799
Very hard to deal with hawks with a ranging group of chickens.:(

I got home! :wee
Got to the alllotments at 3pm. Spent an hour with the important creatures. Shut them back in the run and went and dealt with the lesser humans. Got back to the allotments in time for a bit of all out time and got Fret out for her bath, poop and supper.
Lovely day weatherwise, 20C and sunny.

Lima is slowing down. She's still doing it all, just not as quickly as she was. The rest seem fine apart from Ella's dirty rear end which I didn't have time to sort out but will get on tomorrow.
P5261144.JPG
P5261145.JPG
P5261142.JPG
P5261148.JPG
P5261146.JPG

Back
Top Bottom