Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Your Skeksis was very beautiful and unique. I understand a bit of what you feel.

Warning: sad story šŸ˜”

This is my Butchie. She hatched on August 3, 2020. She laid her first egg on Dec 30 2020 -- at just five months old. She died at 10 am this morning. She was just over 3 years old.

View attachment 3613972

Butchie was my last link to my original little flock, who taught me so much about caring for sick birds from day one. Respiratory disease, bumblefoot, chronic prolapse -- they came with so many problems I had no experience with, but I read and learned and did what I could. After Butchie hatched and survived -- the only one from her mother's clutch -- I decided to close my flock for over two years to keep Butchie and my two survivors (Cleo and Cheri) safe.

So once Cheri weaned Butchie, she was tribeless, rejected on the basis of youth by the others, always running to catch up with them and getting pecked on harshly. She injured her leg in the process. At three months old, I brought her inside to live with Juan, myself, and our amazingly tolerant dogs.

View attachment 3613970

She adapted well to being a house chick. I set her leg with a splint and it healed. She grew stronger followed me everywhere. She didn't cluck or caw -- she cooed along with music we played and chatted back to podcasters. When she was one year old, she went to the coop to roost with the others, and was accepted.

She became symptomatic of a reproductive problem herself about a year ago. She laid several soft, shellless eggs, began having episodes of diarrhea, sour crop, and exhaustion. Without recourse to any vet, much less an avian vet, I treated her symptoms. I dewormed. Treated for coccidiosis. Tried antifungal cream. She wasn't laying any more by then, and she had been such a sweet and dear pet, I was only thinking "How can I help this poor girl feel better?"

She finally responded to a very judicious dosing of acidified copper sulfate. She bounced back for weeks, even months at a time. But something was growing inside her body, a hard doughy lump on the right side of abdomen. The lump restricted her digestion and made processing large amounts of food or certain foods difficult. I adjusted her diet. She ate mostly scrambled eggs, sweet potato, and small amounts of mashed fermented whole grains. She wasn't perfectly well, but she went outside, she sun bathed and dust bathed, she ate her careful rations with relish. She still loved music. I can honestly say that in my efforts to prolong her life, she had more good days than bad.

Two weeks ago she began her molt. And that was the beginning of the end. She began to waddle and bulge in a bigger, squishier way. I palpated her abdomen and could feel the lump inside had grown more and harder lumps surrounded by fluid. A few days ago, the crop filled with liquid and wouldn't clear. I did the usual things that worked on her before -- fasting, flushing, emptying the crop, probiotics. But her system was just giving out. Yesterday, anything that she tried to eat or drink came right back up out of her beak. By the afternoon, she was that awful dark dusky purple color that tells you death is at the door -- my two that died of bronchitis looked like that near the end. Everything in her eyes told me she was just so tired.

She had been through so much and faced it with courage and will to live. But I could see she was done. I didn't want her to also suffer the gasping, gurgling, slow death that was surely on its way. So this morning -- with the capable and kind guidance of a neighbor -- I learned a new and indispensable chicken keeping skill. How to perform a cervical dislocation on an ailing much loved chicken with no hope for recovery. It was quick and clean. And then I held her and waited and looked at the sky for an hour until her body was cold, and then I buried her next to our dog Suki and Cleo under a big tree šŸ’š

It's been a hard but also happy year of chicken deaths and new chicks. I'm hoping this robust group I have now -- none of them have been sick a day, knock wood -- live longer and less troubled lives. But I feel better being prepared to help them die with a little less pain at the end.

I love you and will miss you very much Butchie.
View attachment 3613973
View attachment 3613977
Living with chickens is a daily lesson in the cycle of life and death. So much joy with the chicks, so much worry and sorrow when one is unwell. Butchie had a beautiful life with you. Isn't that the most important for them ? Even if we wished they would stay longer ?
Fly high Butchie, you will join Cleo, Skeksis, Lima, Eli, Sven, Big boy, and so many others as a sparkle in my growing memory of chickens dearly missed.

@TropicalChickies I'm so sorry that you lost Butchie. You did well by her for her whole life and you were so brave to learn how to help her at the end.
Thank you. Forgive me, but I admit my eyebrow goes up whenever I read, "my husband did the deed", "my husband euthanized ..."
Apparently in my situation, I'm the husband. :hmm My dear tender-skinned partner has even made pets of the tilapia in our fishpond.

Putting her poor suffering body down like that isn't something I take lightly. I'm not proud of it. But when I felt those big fibrous masses and all the fluid accumulating in her whole body, she and I both knew a slow and painful death was inevitable. My neighbor who guided me was kind and gentle. His wife and child gathered cuttings of pretty plants to mark her grave. I gave her the best life and treatment I could, and I think her death was dignified. šŸ–¤

Your Skeksis was very beautiful and unique. I understand a bit of what you feel.

Warning: sad story šŸ˜”

This is my Butchie. She hatched on August 3, 2020. She laid her first egg on Dec 30 2020 -- at just five months old. She died at 10 am this morning. She was just over 3 years old.

View attachment 3613972

Butchie was my last link to my original little flock, who taught me so much about caring for sick birds from day one. Respiratory disease, bumblefoot, chronic prolapse -- they came with so many problems I had no experience with, but I read and learned and did what I could. After Butchie hatched and survived -- the only one from her mother's clutch -- I decided to close my flock for over two years to keep Butchie and my two survivors (Cleo and Cheri) safe.

So once Cheri weaned Butchie, she was tribeless, rejected on the basis of youth by the others, always running to catch up with them and getting pecked on harshly. She injured her leg in the process. At three months old, I brought her inside to live with Juan, myself, and our amazingly tolerant dogs.

View attachment 3613970

She adapted well to being a house chick. I set her leg with a splint and it healed. She grew stronger followed me everywhere. She didn't cluck or caw -- she cooed along with music we played and chatted back to podcasters. When she was one year old, she went to the coop to roost with the others, and was accepted.

She became symptomatic of a reproductive problem herself about a year ago. She laid several soft, shellless eggs, began having episodes of diarrhea, sour crop, and exhaustion. Without recourse to any vet, much less an avian vet, I treated her symptoms. I dewormed. Treated for coccidiosis. Tried antifungal cream. She wasn't laying any more by then, and she had been such a sweet and dear pet, I was only thinking "How can I help this poor girl feel better?"

She finally responded to a very judicious dosing of acidified copper sulfate. She bounced back for weeks, even months at a time. But something was growing inside her body, a hard doughy lump on the right side of abdomen. The lump restricted her digestion and made processing large amounts of food or certain foods difficult. I adjusted her diet. She ate mostly scrambled eggs, sweet potato, and small amounts of mashed fermented whole grains. She wasn't perfectly well, but she went outside, she sun bathed and dust bathed, she ate her careful rations with relish. She still loved music. I can honestly say that in my efforts to prolong her life, she had more good days than bad.

Two weeks ago she began her molt. And that was the beginning of the end. She began to waddle and bulge in a bigger, squishier way. I palpated her abdomen and could feel the lump inside had grown more and harder lumps surrounded by fluid. A few days ago, the crop filled with liquid and wouldn't clear. I did the usual things that worked on her before -- fasting, flushing, emptying the crop, probiotics. But her system was just giving out. Yesterday, anything that she tried to eat or drink came right back up out of her beak. By the afternoon, she was that awful dark dusky purple color that tells you death is at the door -- my two that died of bronchitis looked like that near the end. Everything in her eyes told me she was just so tired.

She had been through so much and faced it with courage and will to live. But I could see she was done. I didn't want her to also suffer the gasping, gurgling, slow death that was surely on its way. So this morning -- with the capable and kind guidance of a neighbor -- I learned a new and indispensable chicken keeping skill. How to perform a cervical dislocation on an ailing much loved chicken with no hope for recovery. It was quick and clean. And then I held her and waited and looked at the sky for an hour until her body was cold, and then I buried her next to our dog Suki and Cleo under a big tree šŸ’š

It's been a hard but also happy year of chicken deaths and new chicks. I'm hoping this robust group I have now -- none of them have been sick a day, knock wood -- live longer and less troubled lives. But I feel better being prepared to help them die with a little less pain at the end.

I love you and will miss you very much Butchie.
View attachment 3613973
View attachment 3613977

I'm so sorry for your loss.

It is very hard to do the right thing when it comes to our animals.

I can't get this quote off my head for the past few hours. We've all heard it before, but this time I kept thinking about it. I've been raised with the notion of "it's just a chicken" and even though it never resonated with me, for many years I never developed any sort of connection with the birds. They meant a lot more to me than what they mean to my grandfather's brother (for example), but it never was the same, or close to what it was for cats and dogs. The first time I really connected with a chicken was with my last batch of ISA brown. There was one hen, about one year old at that point. She fell sick, and had to be moved to another small coop to heal. One night a predator attacked her, and bit some of her toes off. Next morning when we found her I was stunned. Despite what I though would happen, even while she was still relatively sick, and now had missing toes, while loosing some blood in the incident, she survived. Something sparked in me then, she was a fighter in my eyes. She was introduced to the flock after she healed, but she was constantly picked on. They even opened the wounds on her toe stubs that had healed at that point. She was tried many times, but every single time she got picked on. At that point, I had developed an OK bond with her, that grew stronger by the week. For most of her life, it was her, and the other chickens. She eventually ended up having a friend, but even then didn't ever feel too comfortable. She was always a bit of an outcast. At this point she had become my "favorite" hen. Our relationship wasn't built on cuddles or something like that, she wouldn't let me touch her. It grew from the fact that I had a deep respect for her. Each day I'd bring some weeds from the land to her cage, and feed it to her. During her last days, she was in with the bantams. What pains me is that she would not feel comfortable in most settings. She always just felt like she was missing on something. The moments she ate her weeds were probably her most peaceful. Her death was the first time I felt like something was missing. Every time a chicken died I would feel sad, but never like this. This time it felt like something important was missing. Sometimes when I say goodnight to the chickens, I catch myself saying goodnight to her, and then I stop and just look at the sky for a second, imagining she's up there flying, after not being able to for the majority of her life. She was the bird that made me truly open up to the emotional side of keeping birds. What I'm trying to get at with my long text I guess, is that we could never imagine feeling sad for losing a bird before we are forced into it, because they find a way to pry into our hearts. No one tells us that it's possible to have the same connection you can with a parrot or a cat, with a chicken. It's something we have to experience, even if we think we don't
We got ours as 1-2 day old chicks, so I started out mother henning them, they brooded in my office, so I was with them all day every day, talking to them singing to them, "preening" them, and cuddling them. Now that they are outside, I spend as much time as I possibly can with them. I typically only get 4 hours sleep, nights during the week, I am a night owl by nature, but work a full time day job (luckily from home.), So I get up early to do any cleaning, feeding and water refills and I sit with them, then I go shower and work my 8-10 hour day, and back down to repeat the chicken chores in the evening. Most days, I spend 4-5 hours a day with the chickens. The rest of my awake time is spent with the dogs and cats.

Initially, sitting with them started as observing to learn their normal behaviour so that I could recognize if anything was wrong more quickly, but I found spending time with them is peaceful, it reduces my stress levels, and they are very social with me. In spending all this time with them, I see that they each have their own personalities, they are funny, sweet, I love watching my boys finding tasty bugs for the girls and guarding them while they eat, or when they join in with the girls with the egg song. I truly appreciate them as individuals and as a group and as such, their happiness and wellbeing is extremely important to me. There is a bond and a trust that comes with getting to know them, that I never expected. My parents, when they were very young and first married, worked on a chicken farm for a while and I grew up hearing that they are dumb, dirty, mean, etc, etc. I never thought much about it until my husband wanted to get chickens for eggs and now I am completely smitten with these feathered charmers. I can totally understand the impact that their loss has on people.

I can see how this idea comes about, but I think it exaggerates the role of genetics and overlooks the role of the feed.
Well, for comparison's sake, here's what I thought when reading this thread.

Look at people, for goodness sakes.

The average American now consumes about 3,600 calories per day. This is up from about 2,400 calories per day prior to the 1990s.

The average American male over 20 weighs about 190 lbs, the average female 170lbs. This too is up from 165lbs (male) and 130 lbs (female) from earlier decades.

Don't tell me correlation isn't causation. Not in this case. A pound of body flesh equals 3500 calories, or units of energy. With minor adjustments for metabolic rates, thyroid conditions etc, the formula holds: Eat more calories, have more pounds.

(I have Hashimoto's myself -- a low functioning thyroid gland and therefore slower metabolism. But when I want to shed a few pounds, I still eat fewer calories. It works).

Meanwhile, the average man in Africa or Asia weighs 160lbs and the average woman weighs 130lbs. In Latin America, the figures are 170lbs and 140lbs respectively.

If you look at the average calorie consumption of people in countries around the world, you find calories consumed similar to what Americans were consuming 40 -50 years ago.

The fact that Americans are consuming such highly processed foods, in particular trans-fats from hydrogenated vegetable oils, makes the link to actual obesity even greater. For example, people in Belgium and the NL eat just as many calories as Americans, but don't have the same obesity rates.
See these charts for the breakdown

https://www.businessinsider.com/daily-calories-americans-eat-increase-2016-07?amp

Other changes linked to the female reproductive system have also come about. The average age of menarche in girls is now 11.9, compared to 12.8 in 1980. Both ovarian and uterine cancers have risen, especially in younger populations -- and both are linked to obesity.

The American population (as far as I know) has not been genetically selected or modified to gain so much weight, or for girls to menstruate earlier, or develop cancer.

It's about the feed. (Stress, pollution, etc are likely contributing causes as well. But the links to obesity are proven)

No, chickens are not people.

But.

I'm fairly certain if you took a newborn child from an American family consuming 3,600 calories per day per parent, and raised the child with parents in Uganda or Vietnam, the child would not be predisposed to weigh 190lbs (or more) by his 20th birthday. I'm also fairly certain that a "broiler" chick would not weigh 10lbs at 12 weeks if not given the broiler-feed regimen.

https://www.howtocook.recipes/top-2...-most-and-least-calories-per-person-each-day/

(I looked up several links to get these figures and took averages. But I think it's obvious if you just watch an American sporting event from the 1970s or 80s. Look in the stadium stands at the people. Now do the same for a baseball or football game today. The change is truly astounding).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/americans-weight-gain-since-1980s-startling/

Last edited:
I'm with Fret. Paper can cut, and shredded may be fine for adults but chicks might get tangled in it. Got any sand to put down instead?
20230819_144910.jpg

This mama was not at all happy when I removed her and the babies from the spot in the sand she had chosen. I put her in the coop due to the added protection. Our dirt is very sandy here and even though we don't have predator issues I didn't want to risk it.

Well just for what it's worth, which is not much, I warn you,as I am neither geneticist nor nutritionist, but here's my humble opinion on the food vs breeding issue. My chicken experience is limited to a few breeds and no breeding, so I'm going to compare chickens to dogs, as a subject I know a lot more about. Like chickens, all the different dog breeds go back to a common wild ancestor, and like chickens, man has manipulated form and function by selective breeding,and like chickens, dog breeds can and do mix with regularity. Many years ago, I read that if you take 10 wildly diverse breeds, (think great dane, chihuahua, pug, dachshund, husky etc) and allow them to randomly interbreed, take the second generation and randomly breed, etc, that in 5 generations, you will have a dog closely resembling a dingo. I can't back this up, as I don't recall where I read it, but it made sense to me, based on observation during my 40+ years working with dogs in a professional capacity, and looking at various populations of street dogs around the world. This correlates with the observations many of you have with your mixed breed flocks. Basic instincts are intact in many individuals of both species, after all, this is what Shad has been saying with this thread, right? So, it seems to me that chickens basic genetics are not so very different from production hens to our backyard girls. So then, food. A nutritionist would probably tell us that all dogs basic nutritional needs ( bare minimum) are the same. But it seems obvious that a diet that is perfectly fine for a Shih Tzu living in an apartment, may not be at all adequate for a husky running the Iditarod and sleeping outside in winter in Alaska. That husky might survive on the same diet as the Shih Tzu but might not be able to do his job well at all. Working as a vet assistant for many years, I have seen first hand how diet can effect dogs in both good and bad ways. So in sum, this is my long winded way of saying, I think it's both. Sometimes I just like to hear myself talk. :oops:

Today the chicks are on day 16, but Cruella still hasn't taken them to roost on...a roost. They still sleep in the nest they hatched. I can't help but feel like she's taking longer than she should. This is my first broody however, while most of you here have had broodies for a long time, so any input would be appreciated

Today the chicks are on day 16, but Cruella still hasn't taken them to roost on...a roost. They still sleep in the nest they hatched. I can't help but feel like she's taking longer than she should. This is my first broody however, while most of you here have had broodies for a long time, so any input would be appreciated
what's the hurry? she'll roost on the roost when she's ready.

Back
Top Bottom