Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I realize I forgot to make some introductions: meet Gwynedd, Llandeilo, Norton, Oxwich, Rhondda and Tintern :)
DSC03691 ID.JPG

They're all at least 50% Penedesenca, and some are probably 75%. Hopefully their individual parentage will become clearer as their plumage and shank colour develops.

I realize I forgot to make some introductions: meet Gwynedd, Llandeilo, Norton, Oxwich, Rhondda and Tintern :)
View attachment 3643901
They're all at least 50% Penedesenca, and some are probably 75%. Hopefully their individual parentage will become clearer as their plumage and shank colour develops.
Ah, the I haven't got a clue what sex they are naming strategy.:D
Wise move. I do much the same myself.:p

https://www.nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1757.pdf

I would definitely not be hanging bags of sulfur powder in and around the coop where the coming and going of chickens will release little clouds of this respiratory irritant, especially given the sensitive nature of the chickens respitory system.

It may be possibly slightly less harmful than breathing in clouds of DE.

Ah, the I haven't got a clue what sex they are naming strategy.:D
Wise move. I do much the same myself.:p
This time I waited with serious naming until I was sure which chicks would stay. When they were tiny I named them after the breed or color.
Other times I waited to a point I was sure what gender they were. And sometimes they got names that weren’t too ‘gender obvious’.
No lady Gaga for a cockerel 🤣. But Black , Kraai (Crow) or Chef for a girl is okay for me.

https://www.nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1757.pdf

I would definitely not be hanging bags of sulfur powder in and around the coop where the coming and going of chickens will release little clouds of this respiratory irritant, especially given the sensitive nature of the chickens respitory system.

It may be possibly slightly less harmful than breathing in clouds of DE.
Is the a pdf like this one for DE too?

View attachment 3643901
I haven't really named the chicks here. I'm always wrong about the sex. So right now they are Cherry, Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, and Butter Pecan.

Is the a pdf like this one for DE too?
Probably. It is generally accepted that decent levels of ventilation is desirable in a chicken coop. Just for the moment, let's not dwell on the difference between ventilation and air flow. The reason good ventilation is important is because damp air with ammonia fumes from chicken poop is harmful to their respiratory systems. There is also the matter of other pathogens that thrive in warm damp environments. So, what we are aiming for is a dry, well ventilated coop. However, dry chicken coops tend to be dusty chicken coops and air movement in dry dusty coops creates dust particles in the air. Many people who have dry coops wear a mask when cleaning them out because, dust and dander and all those pathogens are considered harmful if inhaled. This applies to the chickens as well. Then it seems some people wish to add more dust to an already dusty environment, these dusts being known to be respiratory irritants. I don't need a COSHH sheet to tell me it's a very bad idea. Chickens are already at a health disadvantage by roosting in coops. The least we can do is try to minimize the amount of dust and chemicals, natural or not, that they inhale while shut in the coop. Bags of sulfur hanging in or around the coop entrance that the chickens are supposed to bang into, causing a cloud of chemical dust to settle on their feathers which they then shake, further agitating the dust cannot be a good idea. Best option, build a coop that can be sanitized with a blow torch. Chemical free solution. Build a coop that isn't friendly for the parasites and pathogens one is trying to deal with, plastic coops for example. Don't keep chickens in coops, even better option. Build secure run with open shelter. If one has to use chemicals then do it away from the coop if possible.

Back
Top Bottom