Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yes I am reading many pages a day of Bob's thread and hoping to catch up in half a year or so ... With the rate it's going, occasionally I fall behind more if I get busy.

I know it sounds silly, but I am sooo happy that Shad replied to me and Bob liked my posts. I feel like I finally met my celebrities!!

Here is a rare group photo of my babies:
View attachment 2979895
I'm not convinced that an opionated terse pensioner should be anyones celebrity.:p

Last night my ISA juveniles were alone on the floor of the coop. The chicken formerly known as ‘Mama’ Caramel decided she was done with mothering after 16 weeks. The two juveniles are getting close to POL, and I have a quick question about what an ideal feed would be for them. Should I be going for a lower protein diet, like 16 or 17%, or something higher? I’ve got two options that are locally made that I’m considering for them, as well as several brands that are available nationwide here in the US. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Local feed option #1, 16% protein:
https://ifacountrystores.com/produc...animals/chickens/ifa-poultry-layer-pellet-16/

Local feed option #2, 17% protein:
https://steveregan.com/collections/feed-and-supplements/products/4761000
I've tried in the past to feed a minimum 18% protein feed to all the chickens I've cared for, so I would go for something like that. The nutritional analysis isn't exactly informative is it.
It's the calcium content of the feeds that cause most problems. High production hens need lots so feeds contaning 4% to 5% are fine for these hens. But this much calcium is far too much for roosters, pensioners and pullets that are not laying yet.A lot depends on how your chickens are kept. If they free range all day on decent forage then the commercial feed composition isn't so important.
If they get meat or/and fish three or four times a week then they'll get extra amino acids from these and this will help with their health in general.
Layers pellets at 18% protein and 3% calcium is a decent starting point although there are many other ways to ensure chickens get a balanced and varied diet.

All about Matilda.
P1290311.JPG
P1310313.JPG
P2010322.JPG
P2010323.JPG
P2010324.JPG
P2010326.JPG
P2010327.JPG
P2010329.JPG
P2010330.JPG
P2010331.JPG

I've tried in the past to feed a minimum 18% protein feed to all the chickens I've cared for, so I would go for something like that. The nutritional analysis isn't exactly informative is it.
It's the calcium content of the feeds that cause most problems. High production hens need lots so feeds contaning 4% to 5% are fine for these hens. But this much calcium is far too much for roosters, pensioners and pullets that are not laying yet.A lot depends on how your chickens are kept. If they free range all day on decent forage then the commercial feed composition isn't so important.
If they get meat or/and fish three or four times a week then they'll get extra amino acids from these and this will help with their health in general.
Layers pellets at 18% protein and 3% calcium is a decent starting point although there are many other ways to ensure chickens get a balanced and varied diet.
Thanks for that insight, Shad. I believe both have tags that show a more detailed analysis on the actual bag, but I was not at either store this morning. This time of year, no one ranges much - the chicken run on that side of the house is actually the sunniest spot in the yard right now - and nothing is growing anywhere. The rest of the yard has 3-4” on snow on it still. I toss them my veggie scraps as usual and sometimes buy a head of cabbage or whatnot to give them more fresh foods to eat.

Back
Top Bottom