Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I'm still learning.
What sort of bins did you get Marie? I found that the mice/rats were able to gnaw through the lid of a plastic bin.

Luckily I seem to be near a good supplier and all the info from my chicken friends is helping too.

At least now you know what to replace the bins with when they get too old. :hugs
In the US at least you can buy refurbished (ie rinsed) pickle bins - which look identical to your blue ones ACM. They are human food grade. And for sure for a while they smell of pickle but personally I like pickles so that isn't a negative for me!
I find the tall bins too difficult to maneuver though so in the end I got something smaller and metal and it works well.

Shad, Perris and others affected - I hope you and your chicken friends are faring OK in storm Eunice. And that your coops and houses stay standing. I just saw highest recorded wind in the UK at Isle of Wight at 122 mph. Admittedly that is an exposed area but still.
Anyway, thinking of you all.

Shad, Perris and others affected - I hope you and your chicken friends are faring OK in storm Eunice. And that your coops and houses stay standing. I just saw highest recorded wind in the UK at Isle of Wight at 122 mph. Admittedly that is an exposed area but still.
Ditto on this. I did not realize it was going to be that bad. Stay safe!

Thank you! We had plenty of warning, so chance to batten down the hatches before it hit (hot on the heels of one that struck a bit further north in the UK), and fortunately we didn't lose power, though thousands of people west of us did. At least 88 mph here. The chickens didn't enjoy it, but I think they'd rather endure the high winds with occasional blast of rain/hail than the all-day-long driving rain, drizzle and cold of the past few weeks.

Thank you! We had plenty of warning, so chance to batten down the hatches before it hit (hot on the heels of one that struck a bit further north in the UK), and fortunately we didn't lose power, though thousands of people west of us did. At least 88 mph here. The chickens didn't enjoy it, but I think they'd rather endure the high winds with occasional blast of rain/hail than the all-day-long driving rain, drizzle and cold of the past few weeks.
Glad to hear you are safe. :hugs

Thanks RC. The worst of it is I can't get over to the chickens today. All public transport has been cancelled from where I am to where the chickens are. But, C hasn't been able to go to work and has been making checks on the chickens and geese throughout the day, and, has been texting me to let me know they're okay.
They may not be so well fed today but someone is keeping an eye on them at least.

This is from yesterday. Due to the storm and it's effect on public transport, I haven't been able to get to the allotments today.
Something is not right with Lima. Henry knows and has been fussing and herding.
I've had a look at her and I think and hope, she is about to lay the first egg since her arival here. She's been crouching for Henry a lot over the past few days and when I picked her up yesterday I could feel what I think is an egg on it's way. I'm hoping she'll get it out okay. I'll find out tomorrow I guess.
P2170399.JPG
P2170400.JPG

Her poop is a bit watery but nothing there to raise any alarm.
P2170401.JPG

Back
Top Bottom