Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Feeder was empty again. It's become a bit of a lottery again.:confused:
P3100582.JPG

I let them out into the allotment run.
P3100584.JPG

I went into the coop run and cleaned out the worst of the poop and then came out to call Henry to call his hens for some chopped cabbage and walnuts. 16 chickens arrived.
Missing, Lima, Dusk and Slide. I'm still not quite sure how they get out. They may have got over the very low bit of fencing at the end of the section that runs along the geese enclosure. However, out they were and busy digging.
I could have gone and got them, but I didn't. I just opened the run gate and let those who wanted out, out.
P3100585.JPG
P3100586.JPG
P3100587.JPG
P3100588.JPG

I blame Lima.:p
P3100589.JPG

There is something inside me that grows wings and sings when I see chickens free ranging. Even on the allotments with me watching there are risks. My main concern is they may eat something that is bad for them or sustain an injury on some bit of junk that's lying around and there is plenty of it partly buried on the paths and in the beds.
Henry gets a bit nervous and has headed back to the allotment run a few times and watched the hens from inside the run. But when the hens wander he notices before I do and calls them.
I can then go and steer them back towards the center of the allotments where both he and I can keep better track of them.
Lima is particulary hard to keep track of. It's quite apparent she loves the freedom and will run from one promising looking spot to another.
This evening they all headed back towards the gate bar one who hasn't quite worked this out yet.
All 19 safely in their coop at deep dusk. This time at least.

Is that an outhouse attatched to the main house?
Not sure I understand correctly, if your question is the location of the coop, it's a vaulted basement just underneath our kitchen/living room. Used to be a small barn and turned into a coop in the 50s. It's the open door on the photo.
DSC02582.JPG

Feeder was empty again. It's become a bit of a lottery again.:confused:
View attachment 3020733
I let them out into the allotment run.View attachment 3020738
I went into the coop run and cleaned out the worst of the poop and then came out to call Henry to call his hens for some chopped cabbage and walnuts. 16 chickens arrived.
Missing, Lima, Dusk and Slide. I'm still not quite sure how they get out. They may have got over the very low bit of fencing at the end of the section that runs along the geese enclosure. However, out they were and busy digging.
I could have gone and got them, but I didn't. I just opened the run gate and let those who wanted out, out.
View attachment 3020743View attachment 3020744View attachment 3020745View attachment 3020746
I blame Lima.:p
View attachment 3020747
A chicken that has tasted freedom will always find a way through used fencing 😂.
And she may teach others. I wouldn't be surprised if you find more than three outside one of these days!

Back
Top Bottom