Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Venka's eggs are due to hatch tomorrow... I'm on tenterhooks. Her novice surrogate incubating them (Paprika, the twice-broken-3-times-gone-broody-even-as-a-pullet Penedesenca) seems to be a natural and has stayed the course, and it's her birthday today 🍾, so she will be a real hen when they hatch tomorrow :D
I also hope for the best, those chicks will have quite a legacy between Venka and Paprika!
How will you be setting them up ? Have you moved Eve's chicks from their enclosure ?

Last edited:
I guess there a lot of uninformed chick buyers out there. :idunno

Makes total sense. We don’t have feathered feet at the family farm either for similar reasons, but with a small home flock with lots of attention & a roofed run, I figured I would give it a go.

Edited to add Buff Orpington baby tax:
View attachment 3168566
I have a couple of feathered footsies running on grass. They don't seem to have any extra problems.

Before Sharach starts here is my tax :D
20220629_122346.jpg

I also hope for the best, those chicks will have quite a legacy between Venka and Paprika!
How will you be setting them up ? Have you moved Eve's chicks from their enclosure ?
For fear of breaking her - since I have broken her twice already this year - I left Paprika where she went broody, so that's in everyone's favorite nest box, in the biggest coop, of course :th. The older hens obligingly started laying elsewhere (different coop, or herbaceous border near by), as did one of the other pennies, but then she decided last week to become a cuckoo, and squeezed in on top of Paprika to deposit an egg, 3 times. I removed them when Pa was off for daily ablutions, and then shut the door to stop Puffin or anyone else disturbing them during the day yesterday and again today. But it's normal service for night-time roost, as the other coops are not designed to hold more than 6 birds each. On the other hand, most of the flock piled in to the coop with the broody night before last - could they hear tiny cheeping from inside the eggs I wonder? - some 13 birds in a coop designed for 8 (!) so I played doorman last night and shut it after the first 5 went in.

Eve and her brood were released at 2 weeks old, back on the 19th.

Have you looked for wattles on your suspect cockerel? They develop quickly too on the boys.

For fear of breaking her - since I have broken her twice already this year - I left Paprika where she went broody, so that's in everyone's favorite nest box, in the biggest coop, of course :th. The older hens obligingly started laying elsewhere (different coop, or herbaceous border near by), as did one of the other pennies, but then she decided last week to become a cuckoo, and squeezed in on top of Paprika to deposit an egg, 3 times. I removed them when Pa was off for daily ablutions, and then shut the door to stop Puffin or anyone else disturbing them during the day yesterday and again today. But it's normal service for night-time roost, as the other coops are not designed to hold more than 6 birds each. On the other hand, most of the flock piled in to the coop with the broody night before last - could they hear tiny cheeping from inside the eggs I wonder? - some 13 birds in a coop designed for 8 (!) so I played doorman last night and shut it after the first 5 went in.
Well it seems multiple coops have interesting side effects 😁 I'm really surprised, I was convinced they would sleep all the times in the same coop! Does it often happen that they change or is this exceptional ?
Eve and her brood were released at 2 weeks old, back on the 19th.
I remember but I hadn't understood that meant they went to roost with the adults, I thought it was just during the day!
Have you looked for wattles on your suspect cockerel? They develop quickly too on the boys.
I'm not sure what I see is a baby wattle, what do you think 😁? The other thing that hints boy is that whereas the other chick the same size just behind has grown plumage gracefully all over, this one's got that teenage unkempt awkward look.
IMG_20220630_104208.jpg

Well it seems multiple coops have interesting side effects 😁 I'm really surprised, I was convinced they would sleep all the times in the same coop! Does it often happen that they change or is this exceptional ?

I remember but I hadn't understood that meant they went to roost with the adults, I thought it was just during the day!

I'm not sure what I see is a baby wattle, what do you think 😁? The other thing that hints boy is that whereas the other chick the same size just behind has grown plumage gracefully all over, this one's got that teenage unkempt awkward look.
View attachment 3168902
Oh yes, musical roosts are the norm here 🤪
That looks like a wattle to me...did you want another roo?

Oh yes, musical roosts are the norm here 🤪
That looks like a wattle to me...did you want another roo?
I would have liked to keep him although I'm obviously already overwhelmed with Théo. My partner doesn't agree.
People like rooster around here so hopefully we can re-home him if there is just one male.

Back
Top Bottom