Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Well it seems multiple coops have interesting side effects 😁 I'm really surprised, I was convinced they would sleep all the times in the same coop! Does it often happen that they change or is this exceptional ?
Multi coop chicken keeping is interesting.:D It's one of the reasons I prefer to house chickens in this way.
You won't get the full drama unless you have a rooster per coop. This way you get tribes.

We have more roosters than coops, and I'm pleased to say there is remarkably little drama :p

I hear cheeping from the broody nest; the hatch is well underway now :D
Got chickens; got drama.:p
I'm not sure how drama got such a bad name on this site.

"a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or intense conflict of forces"

Only stuffed dead chickens don't do drama.:lol:

You were right, they got this, I'm so relieved 😁
Oh that must be a relief! Just took a bit to sort everything out and get the kiddos used to the new routine. 😊
So tiny! The difference in adult sizes doesn't reflect in chicks ?
Will you be keeping the ten of them ? I think you said you couldn't have roosters ?
We are keeping the 10 unless there is a rooster. There is a batch of chicks going to the family farm as well, so any rooster will have to join that group. There isn’t much difference in size with the babies that I can see right now! The Speckled Sussex is a bit tinier than the rest but not so much that anyone could notice unless they are directly next to each other.
Venka's eggs are due to hatch tomorrow... I'm on tenterhooks.
Oh how exciting! Good luck!
I have a couple of feathered footsies running on grass. They don't seem to have any extra problems.
That is great news. I have 3 with feathered feet out of the 10. Thanks for the reassurance!
Multi coop chicken keeping is interesting.:D It's one of the reasons I prefer to house chickens in this way.
You won't get the full drama unless you have a rooster per coop. This way you get tribes.
We have a second shed/coop that just got delivered to the farm. Last years group of 20 is in the first shed/coop. This years group will stay in the second shed. With 150+ acres of range, we are hoping at some point once the littles get bigger they can move about together. We do have fencing set up around a very large field for when no one is on site for a few days as there are hawks and fox there…but with someone there 95% of the time they should have ample room to stay separated if they so choose. We do not know if there are any roosters yet (ordered pullet chicks, but added 9 from a home hatch so most likely a few boys there), and if they behave will put one rooster in each group. Unfortunately with toddler cousins visiting sometimes any bad boys will become soup. Fingers crossed…

Last edited:
Some of you may not be aware of this but if you "missbehave" on BYC you can get issued with penalty points. They show up in your profile but are not, I think, visible to others.
One of the penalty notices is, bringing drama to BYC.
This has always struck me as very funny given BYC is one non stop round of drama.

Some of you may not be aware of this but if you "missbehave" on BYC you can get issued with penalty points. They show up in your profile but are not, I think, visible to others.
One of the penalty notices is, bringing drama to BYC.
This has always struck me as very funny given BYC is one non stop round of drama

Speaking from experience? 😂 I don't see any in my profile and I have had a few of my posts removed 🤦‍♀️ I'm surprised they have not booted me off the site... probably a yet .:oops: Or I have not booted myself.

Last edited:
I have a baby treehugger:
1656605132000.png

Something tells me this one may become a bit of a handful...

Back
Top Bottom