Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Most mums stop caring for the chicks once they start laying eggs again. Ime if you are going to lose chicks from now until they start to lay eggs is the critical period.
You can worry yourself to death trying to keep track of the chicks.
When mum says it's time for them to fend for themselves that is the time you have to accept this. They survive or they don't essentially.
Gotta love chicken drama. After laying Chipie went directly dustbathing with Théo in the middle of the ex-batts, playing sweethearts like they hadn't been trying to kill each other for six weeks. Seeing this Blanche went crazy and attacked Chipie, chased her wildly around with Théo trying but failing to interpose himself, until Chipie gave up and flew out of chicken zone and back with her chicks.

I have a feeling this is not over 🤣.
I did and will refrain myself from meddling in chicken business. Though I may have just hanged up the phone on him when my partner told me the same thing about chicks surviving or not.
I'd say that's a great excuse! Given the number of chicken-keepers in the village, surely they'd understand that chicks 1st night going to roost without their broody needs your full and undivided attention?!?
My partner's sister, stepbrother (it's his birthday) and mother don't give a heck about chickens. I've already escaped from mother's day and Christmas. If I don't go they will take it very badly and I'm not sure my partner wouldn't be hurt either. It will pass at one point and there are many worse things to get upset about.

Thanks everyone. My aunt usually does the picking up/holding when we need to examine or treat anyone. I would love to see a pic of one of you holding a LF chicken in that manner (sometimes what I read and what I picture don’t jive). Although I end up with chickens on me often, it is usually through their free will of jumping on my lap or arm. Lol.

Also, now that I will have my own flock in the yard, would you all suggest a nightly or weekly exam at roost? If I can get the last soffit predator proofed today or tomorrow, the girls will move in right after. 😊
I just happened to pick up Bella just now when I had my phone out so here is a not very good picture. You can’t see her legs but they are sticking down and a bit back in between my fingers. Her keel bone is right where my hand joins my wrist.
Bella is not the best example as she is not fully grown and she is sick so a bit docile. She also likes me for some reason.
I am sure Shad or others will have better examples but I thought I would contribute this as I happened to get it just now.

Attachments

• E560B28F-B707-4735-9C2A-83375F254565.jpeg
    E560B28F-B707-4735-9C2A-83375F254565.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The more additions you make, the more potential mite homes you create. Wouldn't something like a generous smear of vaseline fill the gap, stop any draught, and trap any creepy crawlies? It would need renewing of course periodically.
I’ve never heard of Vaseline for this purpose! Would caulk work as well? I have a few small cracks I’d like to fill. Girls are moving in tomorrow unless we can’t get the last soffit hardware clothed today.
I just happened to pick up Bella just now when I had my phone out so here is a nit very good picture. You can’t see her legs but they are sticking down and a but back in between my fingers. Her keel bone is right where my hand joins my wrist.
Bella is not the best example as she is not fully grown and she is sick so a bit docile. She also likes me for some reason.
I am sure Shad or others will have better examples but I thought I would contribute this as I happened to get it just now.

View attachment 3188116
Thanks! I am trying to pick up the littles gently here and there as they are exploring outside, but I don’t force it. Hopefully it gets them used to my hands without stressing them…

Ex Batts good morning one and all!

83 partly cloudy with 85 % humidity and rain off and on.

Have a great day!

The Barred Rock that is broody gets down every day (as I make her) and she will take at least three dust bathes.

She eats and drinks daily.

One day she was down waiting for me to come out to feed.

She still makes her growling sounds.

It works a treat with the hard plastic of my coops, but I don't know it would work with wood...maybe the wood would absorb it slowly?
I use DE (a DE paste with water) to fill the cracks in wood. I love it. Never had these red🕷in the coop ever since.
But some people rather throw it away than use it.

Lots of people in NL use oil and Vaseline on wood.

Back
Top Bottom