Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

On the electric car theme, everyone promoting them has suddenly gone very quiet with the current power price shock, and the possibility or actuality of power black outs here and there.

I couldn't live here with an unreliable motor, and it is irrelevant whether it's the car itself or its power source that's unreliable.
I knew a man in Catalonia who went into the village with his donkey to do his shopping. I asked him if he did all his shopping with the donkey, at which he looked at me like I was a bit of an idiot and said "I don't take him long distances because they won't let him on the train.":lol:

Last edited:
Paprika's back with the flock this morning; the kids are on their own now, roaming with Eve's as a juvenile flock. Only Amadeo on the rooster roster as yet; hopefully one of the mature roos will take over their guardianship soon for a while.
It's the junior roosters job to look after the chicks after mum stops. I'm pretty certain about this. Some are better at it than others. Senior roosters, even if they are the chicks father, move with the tribe. The chicks tend to follow along roughly and at a bit of a distance. Being a chick and not with mum is tough for the first few weeks. Suddenly they're at the back of the queue for everything and likely to get a peck from an adult should they come within range and that includes their mum sometimes.
It took me a while to work out that Tribe 2's high chick and young survival rate was in part due to Tribe 2 always having two rooster/cockerel there.

I do not think it is dementia per say as humans .. Think theirs is much simpler .. forgets to go outside for the job or eating.
I did appreciate the donkey story quite allot ..
tax.
005.jpg

Yes still problems
Wind kills birds, but I have read painting one blade black helps.
Solar takes up room and I was reading an article about putting them in the desert but it was raising the temperature... and I thought the shade would lower temperature.
Hydro restricts fish movement and silt for barrier Islands.

Reducing use helps the plant but not the economy as someone pointed out
I can't comment on all your points, but I believe migrating fish species like salmon have been provided for in hydro schemes for a long time (fish ladders) and is in a continuous improvement cycle in big research projects (IIRC, ETH developed a sort of filter to prevent salmon swimming into danger and encourage them to go around the hydro plant).

I knew a man in Catalonia who went into the village with his donkey to do his shopping. I asked him if you did all his shopping with the donkey, at which he looked at me like I was a bit of an idiot and said "I don't take him long distances because they won't let him on the train.":lol:
Sheesh! Who do they think they are .. disallowing donkeys on trains.

:gig

Yes it does not sound like fun, especially when bringing supplies.
In the UK we had a choice maybe 50 years ago to either invest in public transport or build roads and sell cars. We followed the American model basically and got sold the personal freedom ticket. No matter what political leanings one may have it's been a disaster one way and another; pollution, road costs, traffic accidents,etc. The thing that got overlooked is the UK is a very small place with an awful lot of people in it. Now we are being encouraged not to take our cars into the city and use the city transport system. That's fine if the transport system works and attracts investment; but it doesn't. It's a mess.
I don't think electric cars are going to work out as great as some would have us believe. The message the government need to get over for the good of the environment is personal transport era is over. We can't afford the cost in all it's guises. That also means the era of the internal combustion engine is over as well. It still is a hard sell to the automotive industry and the energy companies.
If it had been up to me, I would have gone for city trams and highspeed rail under public ownership.

Back
Top Bottom